View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
mpspeedy

Default Help finding single fold bias binding

Hi, I am involved in a chairitable project making Princess Pillowcase Dresses. Another good reason to purchase more and different fabric.
What I need is a source of single fold bias binding in bulk. Each little dress needs two 32" pieces of bias binding to finish off the armholes and make the straps. I have pretty much gone through my many years worth of left over quilt binding, I always make to much. If I purchase the little packages I can only get enough binding for one and a half dresses per package. I have been purchasing the quilt binding and cutting it in half down the middle to get twice as many pieces out of it. It is a better buy because you get twice as many bindings for only a third more money. I know how to make bias binding but it is a long tedious process of cutting strips and sewing them together. The bias works well because you don't have to worry about it fraying like straight binding. I was able to get a large spool of 1/2" elastic which is also needed for the dresses from a local quilt shop that also caters to regular garmet sewers. They tried to get me what I needed from their supplier. It was not available through Wright which is the manufacturer who makes the little packages of binding they sell in the stores. I have found fleece binding in bulk but that is not appropiate for dresses that will be worn in the tropics.
I was hoping someone had connections to a sewing factory if such a thing still exists in this country. Most sewing notions seem to be made in China these days.
I would really appreciate your suggestions.