Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help finding single fold bias binding >

Help finding single fold bias binding

Help finding single fold bias binding

Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Help finding single fold bias binding

Hi, I am involved in a chairitable project making Princess Pillowcase Dresses. Another good reason to purchase more and different fabric.
What I need is a source of single fold bias binding in bulk. Each little dress needs two 32" pieces of bias binding to finish off the armholes and make the straps. I have pretty much gone through my many years worth of left over quilt binding, I always make to much. If I purchase the little packages I can only get enough binding for one and a half dresses per package. I have been purchasing the quilt binding and cutting it in half down the middle to get twice as many pieces out of it. It is a better buy because you get twice as many bindings for only a third more money. I know how to make bias binding but it is a long tedious process of cutting strips and sewing them together. The bias works well because you don't have to worry about it fraying like straight binding. I was able to get a large spool of 1/2" elastic which is also needed for the dresses from a local quilt shop that also caters to regular garmet sewers. They tried to get me what I needed from their supplier. It was not available through Wright which is the manufacturer who makes the little packages of binding they sell in the stores. I have found fleece binding in bulk but that is not appropiate for dresses that will be worn in the tropics.
I was hoping someone had connections to a sewing factory if such a thing still exists in this country. Most sewing notions seem to be made in China these days.
I would really appreciate your suggestions.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 PM

Try thrift stores. There are lots of "finds" there!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

i did a search for single fold bias tape and a number of sites popped up- one being:
http://www.jkmribbon.com/Store/catalog/home,1.htm
they seem to have a good selection of colors- and sell in 50 yards for $16 something-
if you type single fold bias tape into your search engine you will find many many suppliers- with many different offerings and prices.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken there is a ribbon 'factory' in Bally, PA (outside Quakertown). Don't know the name and don't know if they make what you are looking for. A google search could probably get you to them. I do know they will custom make commercial/industrial webbing so it might be worth a shot. Also, not sure where in rural MD you are but are you anywhere near Lancaster, PA? There is a fabric 'warehouse' type place there (can dig up the name if you need it) that carries not only tons of quilting fabrics but all kinds of other types as well. In addition they have huge spools of ribbon; webbing, etc. and they may have what you are looking for. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
Hi, I am involved in a chairitable project making Princess Pillowcase Dresses. Another good reason to purchase more and different fabric.
What I need is a source of single fold bias binding in bulk. Each little dress needs two 32" pieces of bias binding to finish off the armholes and make the straps. I have pretty much gone through my many years worth of left over quilt binding, I always make to much. If I purchase the little packages I can only get enough binding for one and a half dresses per package. I have been purchasing the quilt binding and cutting it in half down the middle to get twice as many pieces out of it. It is a better buy because you get twice as many bindings for only a third more money. I know how to make bias binding but it is a long tedious process of cutting strips and sewing them together. The bias works well because you don't have to worry about it fraying like straight binding. I was able to get a large spool of 1/2" elastic which is also needed for the dresses from a local quilt shop that also caters to regular garmet sewers. They tried to get me what I needed from their supplier. It was not available through Wright which is the manufacturer who makes the little packages of binding they sell in the stores. I have found fleece binding in bulk but that is not appropiate for dresses that will be worn in the tropics.
I was hoping someone had connections to a sewing factory if such a thing still exists in this country. Most sewing notions seem to be made in China these days.
I would really appreciate your suggestions.
I understand wanting to buy bulk binding but if all else fails, you should look up the CONTINUOUS bias binding method. You won't have to sew small strips together, you just sew one seam and then cut.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM

I like Home Sew for purchasing bias binding on 100 yd rolls.

http://www.homesew.com/sc/productsea...016e7baf28fb52

Last edited by Lori S; 01-05-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM

cut bias strips, 1.5" wide (with your strip ruler, if possible, piece of cake...)... now put your longest pin into your ironing board cover.... in/and/out, right away, then 1" away, in/and/out right away again. use a pin to feed the end of a bias strip adjusting the folds so there is 1/4" on each side.... press the end of the fold... pull tape thru pin.... it will fold...you will press... as soon as you get 6 inches thru the pin, place iron right next to the pin, flat on the ironing board.... end of tape will be showing on the outside of the iron... pull slowly... (waltz tempo) and the tape will come thru 1" wide, pressed seams down, and ready to use... you will have to stop at each seam and help it... but otherwise, you can do yards and yards of the stuff in a half hour.... there are little machines out there to help you but i never get around to buying one, then need some tape and just do it the way i've done it for 50 years...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM

I don't have any leads on places to buy bulk, but I also make pillowcase dresses for charity and have gotten more bias tape and rickrack than I can use at garage and estate sales. We also got lots of it donated by simply announcing the need at quilt guild. People have this stuff tucked away!

Best wishes on your project!

Dayle
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM

I agree with the other readers. Check out thrift centers, ask at all the social organizations you belong to and put a "looking for" in your church & local paper. We can do that for no charge. I think you'll be amazed at ghs responses. Good luck & post Pictures of the final project.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM

If you have a craft/quilting group at church or at a Senior center...ask the ladies if they have any that is just sitting around. I have received and used so much of it from our ladies at church. The stuff the give me that I can't use gets donated to Sal. Army or Goodwill.