Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make a quilt label? >

How do you make a quilt label?

How do you make a quilt label?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Default How do you make a quilt label?

I looked online to try to learn how to make a quilt label and saw many conflicting ideas (use inkjet printer, don't use inkjet printer, etc.). I would love to be able to use my inkjet printer because I hate my handwriting! :/ Does anyone know of a tutorial I can look at or can you tell me how you make a label from start to finish and if you really can use an inkjet printer? Is there something I need to do to "set" the ink so it doesn't bleed or fade? Is there a way to sew the label on the back of the quilt by machine and have it look nice or does it need to be done by hand? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM

If using the printer I would buy the sheets of printable fabric. Either that or you have to set with bubble jet. I do mine on my embroidery machine now.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Welcome. I live in Utah as well. I haven't done a label before. I love your avatar.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I buy the printable fabric sheets - they have either iron-on or sew-on - just feed it through my printer - I don't use any bubble set or anything. Several sites have label you can download and put your information on and print - the site I have used is junetailor.com - go to the creative section - you will find it
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Hi Julie,
You'll get lots of help here about labels. I've selected these three web sites that address the questions you asked.
Quilting Board Tutorial http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/making-your-own-quilt-labels-b8196.html<o></o>
<o></o>
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-ways-attach-quilt-labels-t173698.html<o></o>

[h=1]Print your own fabric labels freezer paper<o></o>[/h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

i've made tons of labels with my ink jet printer-
i usually prepare my fabric for dyeing (pre-wash with detergent- no fabric softener) then press freezer paper to the back- cut to the size of printer paper- design my label- and print---i set it aside to (cure) then i heat set it- cut it out an use it.
i do use good quality permenent ink in my printer---not the re-fills or off brand cartridges. it's not difficult- you can use pre=made fabric printer sheets- but read the packages- some are not made to be laundered (for wall hangings) some need to be dry cleaned- some are supposed to be washable---all of them are kind of expensive.
the printer that is not recommended for printing on fabric is the laser printers- there is something about them getting really hot--but ink jet printers work ok- and the HP and Epson printers are the ones with the best recommendations/reviews- and the best inks available.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
If using the printer I would buy the sheets of printable fabric. Either that or you have to set with bubble jet. I do mine on my embroidery machine now.
I do the same thing.
But...I have spoiled my family so bad about labels that, when I finished two pillows for my DDIL (she had made the batiks for them as a school project), my DS told me the first thing she looked for on the pillows was the label...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Lots already said about ink jet printers.. I wanted to address your handwriting.. I know some people are very good writing on fabric, but most of us are not.. The way I overcome the problem is to print out whatever I want to say on the label in a word program.. Print it out.. check to see if the size and spacing is pleasing, check spelling.. and when I like what I have then I tape it to my window, tape my label fabric over the print and then copy it carefully by tracing the letters with a permanent pen.. . wa-la, I have a perfectly printed label done by hand. It works for me every time.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM

I go into my Word Program and write what I want my label to say. I use the font Bradley Hand. I arrange the words so that they fit in the right amount of space. When it is just to my liking (Usually I can get three or four versions on a sheet of paper) I print it out (onto regular paper!) Then I pick out a piece of fabric such as muslin or white fabric and cut out a piece that will be a couple of inches bigger that the "printout" I have made. I then iron a piece of freezer paper to the back of my fabric piece. I lay my "printout" onto a light box or tape it to a window and tape the fabric over the "printout." I then trace over the words with a Pigma permanent marker. Then I remove the freezer paper and trim the fabric so that it is an inch or so border all the way around. I then layer it (right sides tegether with lighweight interfacing or a dryer sheet. Sew all the way around with a 1/4" seam allowence. Cut a slit in just the interfacing and turn it right side out. Press. Trim away most of the interfacing and sew it to the back of your quilt. Most people are amazed at how nice my "handwriting" is!! Don't forget to Spellcheck before printing your printout!
Attached please find an example of one of these labels!
Attached Thumbnails darcy-claires-anniversay-party-015.jpg  
Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM

just remember folks... when you print it on a printer or by hand with fabric ink pens...most are happier and better if set by ironing... the label is not on the quilt when you finish....wash it, test it before sewing on.... your great great grandchild may never have anything from your hands except this quilt... you want them to be able to read it...