View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
virtualbernie

Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
Hi, I am involved in a chairitable project making Princess Pillowcase Dresses. Another good reason to purchase more and different fabric.
What I need is a source of single fold bias binding in bulk. Each little dress needs two 32" pieces of bias binding to finish off the armholes and make the straps. I have pretty much gone through my many years worth of left over quilt binding, I always make to much. If I purchase the little packages I can only get enough binding for one and a half dresses per package. I have been purchasing the quilt binding and cutting it in half down the middle to get twice as many pieces out of it. It is a better buy because you get twice as many bindings for only a third more money. I know how to make bias binding but it is a long tedious process of cutting strips and sewing them together. The bias works well because you don't have to worry about it fraying like straight binding. I was able to get a large spool of 1/2" elastic which is also needed for the dresses from a local quilt shop that also caters to regular garmet sewers. They tried to get me what I needed from their supplier. It was not available through Wright which is the manufacturer who makes the little packages of binding they sell in the stores. I have found fleece binding in bulk but that is not appropiate for dresses that will be worn in the tropics.
I was hoping someone had connections to a sewing factory if such a thing still exists in this country. Most sewing notions seem to be made in China these days.
I would really appreciate your suggestions.
I understand wanting to buy bulk binding but if all else fails, you should look up the CONTINUOUS bias binding method. You won't have to sew small strips together, you just sew one seam and then cut.