Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Quilting Nonnie

Wow! What a story. That must have been heartbreaking and disheartening to have your vision just go like that! I would have been glad to have helped you then. So many things have changed ever since the computer became an accessible medium for everyone.

I am happy that you were able to have such wonderful ophthalmologists to know what to do. Bless their hearts.

When the time comes, if you want to volunteer, there's always a need. Teachers, like myself, always need help. We have a full-time assistant who does all sorts of work, like making tactile diagrams and the such, for us. Having someone volunteer would be a god-send. There are the elderly blind who could always use help. In college, visually impaired students can use help. If you're good at math, high school students usually need a tutor to help them through their math classes.

I don't know if you have foundations for the blind in Canada. We have Lighthouse for the Blind, Braille Institute of America, etc. You could call them and ask what you could do. On a broader basis, if you are good at reading outloud, you could record books for the blind, either locally or at a national depository that distributes audio books for the blind.

Just some ideas.