Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

I was caught in the middle .... too old for the children/student programs, too young for the aged .... and luckily, had the hope that all would turn out positive. After my surgeries and we knew all was good, I remember saying to the Opth, "oh I wasn't worried, I had confidence in you." (Honestly, I was scared sh.... less!) His comment back was "I didn't have faith your eyes would allow me to give you such good vision". It was then that it struck me .... OMG, all those disclaimers before the surgery were not CYA'ers ... he was totally serious. I praise that man, many times over!

CNIB = Canadian National Institute for the Blind is the common ground for blind issues in Canada. They do have area offices but are not too visible (pun, not intended, it's the truth!) in the community. At one of the public events I worked this winter, a Mother brought her son to our display, telling me of his blindness, and asking he be allowed to touch the objects, differently of course, than we normally allowed. It was a joy to work with him (and his Mom), helping him to touch, experience and explain to him, so he could learn what the other children were to accomplish that day, when visiting our display. All in a different manner.

I had looked into reading books, though the centre I would have to work thru is too far and inconvenient for the pick up and drop offs that would be my responsibility.

I am thankful and know I am blessed ... I only had four months. I just pray that there are no recurrences. In the meantime ... I'm living life to the fullest. Part of that is my re-found sewing passion, via quilting!