Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
weasier22

I do not buy every month, but when I do purchase fabric, books, notions or tools, I try to only buy when on sale. And it has to be a good sale! To buy it at regular prices, it has to be for a really good reason, which I did last year for the 6 quilts I made for my cousins grandchildren. These special prints and themes and were not going to be on sale at all. It was from the LQS. So that is one time I spent more than I usually am willing. These kids are very dear to me and were going through a tough time in their lives. The cost didn't matter ... the end result did.

I will check out the 40% off section in the LQS and usually do purchase some fabric. I did buy Christmas fabric there this past year, but it was 60% off! I purchased one of the fabrics for my sons quilt there but it was for every 5 yards cut, the next 5 yards was 50% off.

I'll buy batting, tools, thread, rulers, etc from Jo Anns when there is a good sale along with a 20% off total purchase coupon. I stocked up on batting the second half of last year. Also thread, cutting tools, and different rulers.

I have a good stock pile of fabric, both for clothing and quilting. I've been sewing for over 50 years and I've never limited my "on hand" stash. I'd rather purchase when I'm able vs trying to purchase down the road. My years of being in the work force is coming near the end and I am glad to be able to have what I have now to carry me through projects later on in life. As my husband says to me, "Get it while you can." Don't you just love him?! He's so supportive when it comes to my crafts. You should see the amount of yarn and crochet cotton I have stock piled! I plan on taking my knitting and sewing to the grave and continue on! It's been a life long passion with me...part of my sole.

I know that I haven't budgeted these types of purchases into my monthly budget, but I do not over spend when you figure the amount spent for a year. If one buys smart when they can, it can help the monthly budget. I know times are difficult for all of us. I'm far from wealthy or rich. My husband has been disabled for many years and things have not been easy. But, we are not starving and we are able to give to others when possible. I am so happy to be able to make a quilt, table topper or mug rug for others. There will come a day when I can't purchase as I do today. It will be a sad day, but I will have my stock pile to work from and be able to continue to create.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. I think you have a good idea to keep the receipts and keep a tally on what is spent. I'm going to do that for this year to see exactly what I do spend. I'm also going to keep a tally on what I save while spending. It will be interesting to see how the two amounts compare.

I wish all of you a wonderful year in quilting!