Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Grandma Cindy

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Assuming you are not in a business, so you are not selling your work, how carefully do you account for your quilting costs?

I am now about one delightful but expensive year into this addiction, and I have carefully saved every receipt in a little spot in the second drawer down at my sewing desk. Sometime this week I will be reviewing every one of those receipts: the fabric and thread, the tools and notions, the books, the patterns, and classes. I will not cost in the stuff I borrowed from my office - from binders and binder-clips to the extra 60" table I use for ironing, but the rest is all 'on the books'.

I truly dread this.

I know my costs are way over my other hobby, veggie gardening, where I've got about $150 in fertilizers, mulches, lime etc, $100 in seeds and plants, an occasional hoe or rake, a new set of wood boards for the raised beds every 3-4 years, way less water than my neighbors spend on their grass, and I get a 25x50 space packed with a year's worth of fresh and frozen delights. By contrast, I've gifted five baby quilts, one bed quilt, two lap quilts, made myself 4 placemats and have one UFO and some leftover fabric. I know that now I have the rulers and books and all that, it will be a less expensive hobby...but still...

Do any of you have annual budgets for fabric, thread, tools/notions, books, patterns? Or do you just cap the total at so much a year?

I am not asking for personal financial data, just an approach to controlling cost!

Thanks!
It is not "an approach to controlling cost" question you should be asking but "How" to deal with the wonderful addiction to...... the touch of LQS fabrics, seeing a new tool at work, seeing the pictures here on this board, knowing a new Turning Twenty book is out, the joy on the faces of those that receive our gifts, the warm snuggly feeling under our quilts, when a child request a special quilt we have made to keep warm under and the satisfaction of completion and accomplishment... To me there is no price to set, as adults we know how much money is in the bank and what bills need to be paid first, what goes to tithe and the rest- is mine to spend as I want since I earned it myself. Continue to enjoy the spirit of quilting and loving what you are doing.