View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Jim's Gem

I made this quilt top about 2 years ago. I started with a lap size quilt and then DH said "I really like this, can you make it a queen?" Well, I searched and found most of the fabrics that were in it. Ordered more of the border fabric from a shop in South Carolina or something like that. I couldn't find 2 of the greens so I took the lap size apart and then put it back together with the new blocks with the new green so that all green were dispursed throughout the quilt. Anyway, I need to add the borders. I paced the quilt on my bed and determined that I need to add at least 4" inches to the overall measurement of the quilt so it will drape over the box springs.
The pattern has the finished size of the inner border at 4" and the outer border at 5" finished. What I am wondering is would it look ok to increase the purple on the inner border (the green needs to stay the same 1" finished) to a 6 in finished, pattern calls for strips to be 2" unfinished, I am thinking 3" unfinished, which is the size of the squares in the quilt.
Also the outside border is supposed to be cut 5 1/2", would it look "ok" to maybe cut it 7".
This is getting confusing. Without borders at the moment it is 75x75, if I followed directions (which are for lap size by the way) it would be 93 x 93. My calculations would bring the quilt to about 98 x 98. Maybe l00 squared would be better? I just don't want to throw off proportions. I also do not like really wide outer borders but I may have to for this.
Would it look bad if I added an additional narrow border instead? Help!!

Border fabrics. I did not make the pieces in the size they are supposed to be. I should have done that before taking a picture. This is approx the increased size, not the pattern size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34890[/ATTACH]

Picture of pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35000[/ATTACH]

quilt top as it looks right now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35001[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34890.jpe   attachment-35000.jpe   attachment-35001.jpe