Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help with border dimentions >

Help with border dimentions

Help with border dimentions

Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

I made this quilt top about 2 years ago. I started with a lap size quilt and then DH said "I really like this, can you make it a queen?" Well, I searched and found most of the fabrics that were in it. Ordered more of the border fabric from a shop in South Carolina or something like that. I couldn't find 2 of the greens so I took the lap size apart and then put it back together with the new blocks with the new green so that all green were dispursed throughout the quilt. Anyway, I need to add the borders. I paced the quilt on my bed and determined that I need to add at least 4" inches to the overall measurement of the quilt so it will drape over the box springs.
The pattern has the finished size of the inner border at 4" and the outer border at 5" finished. What I am wondering is would it look ok to increase the purple on the inner border (the green needs to stay the same 1" finished) to a 6 in finished, pattern calls for strips to be 2" unfinished, I am thinking 3" unfinished, which is the size of the squares in the quilt.
Also the outside border is supposed to be cut 5 1/2", would it look "ok" to maybe cut it 7".
This is getting confusing. Without borders at the moment it is 75x75, if I followed directions (which are for lap size by the way) it would be 93 x 93. My calculations would bring the quilt to about 98 x 98. Maybe l00 squared would be better? I just don't want to throw off proportions. I also do not like really wide outer borders but I may have to for this.
Would it look bad if I added an additional narrow border instead? Help!!

Border fabrics. I did not make the pieces in the size they are supposed to be. I should have done that before taking a picture. This is approx the increased size, not the pattern size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34890[/ATTACH]

Picture of pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35000[/ATTACH]

quilt top as it looks right now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35001[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34890.jpe   attachment-35000.jpe   attachment-35001.jpe  
Old 08-14-2009, 04:31 PM

I think your borders will look lovely the way you have them laid out!! It's a beautiful quilt!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I love that material and those borders look great!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Okay, I'm going to take a stab at this, I hope I'm understanding you well.

The pattern has the following:
thin border (purple)
thin pieced green 1"
thin border (purple)
wide border (patterned)

Correct?

You are wondering if you could increase the two purple borders and the wide border, right?

Okay, assuming that's correct, here's my thoughts on the matter.

I think you could safely increase both thin purple borders, but not by more than a 1/2" or so until they started to look funny and dwarf the pieced border.

If you choose to increase the outer border, I think that would be fine, but I think at that point I would like to see something "interesting" in it. I'm thinking perhaps purple cornerstones and a 3" or so purple strip in the center of each border (not longways, kwim??). Or maybe green fourpatch cornerstones and a fancy contrasting thread border quilting design. I think that would look better than just adding a lot more width.

Hope that makes sense!
Isabel
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I love your border layout, too :D :D :D
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM

I think those proportions looks just fine. If you make the purple any larger I would make the pieced green one a bit larger too.

In any case, love the quilt.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 PM

I agree with SAHM - her ideas for an "interesting" outer border sound great. In any case - I love the quilt. The fabrics are beautiful and the color combo is fantastic. It's going to be fabulous. Keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

The quilt is beautiful and I love your layout of the borders. Hubby is right, that's a great quilt.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I think those proportions looks just fine. If you make the purple any larger I would make the pieced green one a bit larger too.

In any case, love the quilt.
The pieced green one is already done. They are basically the 3" squares like the others except they are cut in half, so unfinished they are 1.5". I already have the lengths done, did them 2 years ago. what stopped me then is among other things, I couldn't decide exactly how I wanted to finish the borders. I am really trying to pull out a couple UFO's and get them done. I have made extra blocks with this quilt and plan on making pillows and window coverings to match.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by SAHM
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at this, I hope I'm understanding you well.

The pattern has the following:
thin border (purple)
thin pieced green 1"
thin border (purple)
wide border (patterned)

Correct?

You are wondering if you could increase the two purple borders and the wide border, right?

Okay, assuming that's correct, here's my thoughts on the matter.

I think you could safely increase both thin purple borders, but not by more than a 1/2" or so until they started to look funny and dwarf the pieced border.

If you choose to increase the outer border, I think that would be fine, but I think at that point I would like to see something "interesting" in it. I'm thinking perhaps purple cornerstones and a 3" or so purple strip in the center of each border (not longways, kwim??). Or maybe green fourpatch cornerstones and a fancy contrasting thread border quilting design. I think that would look better than just adding a lot more width.

Hope that makes sense!
Isabel
sounds good. here's another possibility. since you did some work on this and you obviously have more purple left, you could surround everything with another purple border to 'frame' it. that border could be thin again. at that point you have to do something interesting so the quilt doesn't look like it's all border. you could navajo strip it with shades of green, even though they may not be the same greens, on a lavender ground, because that's fast work and fills borders. if you still have enough, i would bind off in the same purple. otherwise, i would choose lavender to stay within the purple family. your design is very geometric and any geometric design on the border would be good looking.

please show us what you decide to do. however it comes out, it will be scrumptious!