View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by SAHM
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at this, I hope I'm understanding you well.

The pattern has the following:
thin border (purple)
thin pieced green 1"
thin border (purple)
wide border (patterned)

Correct?

You are wondering if you could increase the two purple borders and the wide border, right?

Okay, assuming that's correct, here's my thoughts on the matter.

I think you could safely increase both thin purple borders, but not by more than a 1/2" or so until they started to look funny and dwarf the pieced border.

If you choose to increase the outer border, I think that would be fine, but I think at that point I would like to see something "interesting" in it. I'm thinking perhaps purple cornerstones and a 3" or so purple strip in the center of each border (not longways, kwim??). Or maybe green fourpatch cornerstones and a fancy contrasting thread border quilting design. I think that would look better than just adding a lot more width.

Hope that makes sense!
Isabel
sounds good. here's another possibility. since you did some work on this and you obviously have more purple left, you could surround everything with another purple border to 'frame' it. that border could be thin again. at that point you have to do something interesting so the quilt doesn't look like it's all border. you could navajo strip it with shades of green, even though they may not be the same greens, on a lavender ground, because that's fast work and fills borders. if you still have enough, i would bind off in the same purple. otherwise, i would choose lavender to stay within the purple family. your design is very geometric and any geometric design on the border would be good looking.

please show us what you decide to do. however it comes out, it will be scrumptious!