View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Michellesews

Many folks cut the scraps large enough into 2-1/2 inch strips and save them, the smaller scraps are cut into 5" blocks or whatever you can use. Oftent the tiniest scrap is just the perfect color for an applique. As prices go up, scraps become more and more valuable. Two years ago I received an Accu Go cutter and some dies for Christmas. At the time I was thinking this was quite an expensive item that I might not use. I was wrong, and all because of scraps. I can take the tiniest scrap and cut it into a useful shape for a quilt. Not suggesting you go out and buy one, and I am not affiliated with them in any way, but that cutter has helped me to make quilts out of scraps I otherwise might never have used. I make a lot of quilts and do long arm quilting for a business. I have my scraps organized like this? Light 2.5" strips, Dark 2.5" strips, bricks (chunks at least 4 x 6 ") 1.5" strips light and dark together, 3" strips, all colors together, triangles and squares. I store them in the plastic drawers on wheels, and I also have a drawer for each color family ...yellows, reds, purples, browns, blacks neutrals, pink, green and blue. I found I have more green and brown than anything, and I would never have picked those a my favorite colors...interesting. I have my fabric sorted so that I know exactly where something is and I can lay my hand on it in an instant. I have Christmas fabrics separate. Then for the larger amount, 6 or more yards of fabric...I lay it long ways and fold it into thirds. Then I take my 12 inch ruler and fold over and over again. I stack it on its side in the drawers beneath my cutting table and I know that if I count three folds, that is a yard, so I know what I have without taking it out and unwinding the whole thing. Hope this helps.