Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what to do with scraps

what to do with scraps

I have been quilting for just a little over a year now and I cannot believe the large box of left over material that I have accumulated. Does anyone really use left overs to make quilts? Do you cut strips or 5" blocks? I don't know where to start - any hints will be greatlty appreciated.
    Thanks
    NormaBeth
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    do a search for 'scrap therapy' there are tutorials for (organizing) your scraps into usable pieces- also there are TONS of books on scrap quilts-
    many many people use scraps---all the time---some people do not care for scrap quilts and choose to pass on their scraps to others- there are a number of groups who love and put to good use other's scraps (such as the senior center) there are small sewing groups of people who do not have much money- but have a desire to learn- who also appreciate donations- and scout & 4-H groups.
    start with looking at scrap quilt books/patterns and decide if you are interested- then check out the scrap therapy tutorials- which show you how to cut and organize your scraps- if you decide you have no interest (or need) of all your scraps-pass them on
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Think outside the box, er block. Scrap quilt, applique, confetti. I don't cut fabric until I know exactly what I will do with it. And the possibilities are endless. Happy quilting.
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

I cut mine into 5" squares, 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. These are the common pre-cut sizes and You can find lots of patterns that use them.
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Quote Originally Posted by kheliwud View Post
    I cut mine into 5" squares, 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. These are the common pre-cut sizes and You can find lots of patterns that use them.
    I usually do mine in approximately those sizes as well.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by kheliwud View Post
    This is what I do too, anything that isn't big enough I cut into 2 1/2" squares with my Accuquilt. I really going through the scraps, brings back memories of the projects.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of beautiul patterns that require small pieces of lots of different fabrics. Here is one of my DH's. he loves just sewing 2 1/2 inch blocks together. I like simple, yet complicated looking patterns.Name:  100_0739.jpg
Views: 3607
Size:  53.1 KB
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Almost all my quilts are scrappy, a log cabin is a great pattern to use them on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just bought a book on Scrap Therapy and it sugests 5", 3 1/2", and 2" squares. Has some very pretty patterns in it using these sizes. Been working on that. Little teeny peices I put in a plastic bag and save for stuffing toys etc. I have just cut a big square denim pillow for my cats and I'm using these scraps to fill it. Waste not want not as they say!

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter specializes in scrap quilting. She has a few books and lots of free patterns on her website. You will no doubt find something inspirational there!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I cut whatever the biggest size i can get out of the scrap.. so it can be anywhere from 10.5x10.5 to as lil as 2x2.. each size, Accuquilt shape have it own Sterilite see thru drawer.. Ill either rotary cut or use my GO dies.. Whatever utilizes my scraps the best with less waste..

Blog Entries
    Edyta Sitar is another that uses a lot of scraps, http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/Shop/shopindex.htm
    Also see if your library has any books on scrap quilts, there are lots of designs out there
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Anything under a fat quarter and over a 5" square, I fold and put together in one drawer. If it's just over 5" square, I go ahead and cut and I have a stack of 5" squares. I recently made a large disappearing 9 patch with just my 5" squares. Fabric under 5", I place in plastic drawers by color. They come in handy for applique. Small strips of 2" or less, I am crocheting into a rag rug. If it's less than 2" square, I usually toss unless it's green. They make nice leaves for applique. Hope this helps. What to do with scraps is one of the harder things to figure out.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html Here is a scrappy quilt show from the QB. Grab a cup of coffee sit back and enjoy! Most of my quilts are from scraps.....love scraps

SEW
    I am a scrappy fan. Just finished a purple pinwheel quilt for my grand daughter and next I will make a quilt for her dolly with the leftover scraps! I also enjoy going through the scraps, there is a memory attached to each and every one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    There are a lot of beautiul patterns that require small pieces of lots of different fabrics. Here is one of my DH's. he loves just sewing 2 1/2 inch blocks together. I like simple, yet complicated looking patterns.Name:  100_0739.jpg
Views: 3607
Size:  53.1 KB
    #1, I love this! Please tell your husband that he did a fantastic job with it. I really like it alot, and I think it has a lot of colour due to the amount of reds in it. It looks old-fashioned because it's scrappy, but it also looks modern as many of the fabrics are more contemporary.

I'm currently making a quilt with leaders and enders (see Bonnie Hunt
    http://quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml) and I could very easily do one like yours.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

One of my favorite sources for scrap inspiration is the series of books called Nickel Quilts. I think there is a total of three in the series. All of them have some great quilts.
    I don't cut any scraps till I have identified the pattern, I do keep them sorted by type and color.

Power Poster
    I personally love scrappy quilts and there are so many patterns out there. Don't cut the scraps until I know what I plan to make. Right now I am working on some Mile A Minute blocks to make soldier quilts for our guild. But the sad thing is the boxes of scraps don't seem to be going down, in fact it looks like they are having babies. lol

If you cut your scraps before you know what you want to use them for they probably won't be in a sufficient size to use for applique blocks. Therefore, before you cut into blocks or rectangles be sure you don't like to do appliques. However, many people think they are the prettiest of the quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    I have been quilting for just a little over a year now and I cannot believe the large box of left over material that I have accumulated. Does anyone really use left overs to make quilts? Do you cut strips or 5" blocks? I don't know where to start - any hints will be greatlty appreciated.
    Thanks
    NormaBeth

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html
    Go to this post and see all the beautiful scrap quilts you can make with your scraps! Also, Quiltsville.com has directions for many more. My avatar is a scrap quilt. Scrap quilts are beautiful!

I keep mine separated by colors and at some point I will get around to making a scrap quilt I got a magazine called Scrap Quilts Throughout the Season it's done by "The Quilters Magazine" and they've got some wonderful ideas for scrap quilts. Good luck!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    trim points and skinny pcs....set aside...
    is the pc more than 1/4 yd? put back in stash, after trimming points and pcs
    is the pc less than 1/4 yd? cut as many 2.5" strips (whatever length) as possible (my strips are color sorted into pizza boxes, ready to use), put leftovers with the points and pcs
    put all points and pcs in a pile and slice with rotary cutter over and over to produce confetti, put in that color baggie and store for later or for your kids or for a friend who does do confetti quilts..

this method has 2 distinct benefits for me...when i want to make a small gift or go to a class, i just pull 2 or 3 pizza boxes and the colors are all the right size and color sorted for me.... and IF a pc is on my stash shelves, i KNOW it has to be more than 1/4 yd, so no opening up a scrap to find there is 6inches there with big whacks out of it... so saves time... i put all scraps into bankers box at end of table till project is done, then trim, strip, confetti, fold and put away AFTER i know i won't need one more pc... if i start another project, i use another banker's box...no combining...too difficult to find if i need something...

Blog Entries
    When I get done with a quilt, I use my accuquilt go and cut my scraps up then. That way I don't have to do it later. I use 2.5"square, 6.5" square, 6.5" tumbler, and my 2.5" strip dies. I have plenty enough cut now to make SEVERAL quilts.... Just not enough hours in the day to do it lol

Blog Entries
    I am new to quilting and it was amazing how quickly your scraps add up. This has been a great thread for me, Thanks

Banned
    I cut squares at 1/2" intervals - 1 1/2" up to 4 1/2", then 5 " squares
    Triangles (from pieces that won't make squares) that will sew to squares = above cut squares
    Rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" and by 6 1/2"
    2 1/2" strips

I'm a depression baby, so it
    kills me, but if my scraps won't work for any of the above they're tossed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast