Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what to do with scraps

As one of the many who live on very tight budgets, I second the idea of passing them on to others if you decide scrappy quilting is not for you. I make donation quilts for those who are ill and for our military and could never afford to do this without the help of many here on the board who pass their scraps on to me. That and purchasing fabric at thrift stores is my main way of getting quilting materials and I do so truely appreciate all the help that comes to me from other quilters. Every quilt I make and donate is filled with love from me and from members of the board also!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Once my quilt is finished I right then start cutting those left overs into 5,4,3 inch squares, then some into 2 1/2 inch strips and finally into strips down from 2 to 1 inch wide strips to make strip quilts using a foundation piece to sew these small strips. I keep these either in a plastic box or plastic bags. You can make beautiful quilts from all of the above and sometimes I make table toppers, place mats and appliqued projects from these. Right now I have a sweat shirt that has a stain I can not get out, so cut out a cat and two balls to covers these spots using applique. Good luck
    IdahoSandy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html
    Go to this post and see all the beautiful scrap quilts you can make with your scraps! Also, Quiltsville.com has directions for many more. My avatar is a scrap quilt. Scrap quilts are beautiful!
    Thanks for posting this. I was going to suggest that you search this board as many have posted what they've done with their scraps...and they can be beautiful. But most importantly, if you don't want to do this, just advertise that you will give them away/sell them for a minimal amount and you will have them out of your hair in minutes after the ad goes up!

I use scraps to do free form quilting (meaning without a pattern). Ladies in my sew group give me anything they don't want from selvages to strips less than an inch in size on up. I also save everything I have left over even pieces of threads I pick off my table or floor after I sew. Yes I use the thread in fabric art and yes I use pieces that are as little as a quarter inch on up. I am a mixed media fabric user.

I guess I'm not doing to bad with my free form quilt pieces since I get alot of Ohhh, awesss, and I never could do that, or I never would have the patience for that from folks around here.

Ever done a postage stamp quilt. That is 1 inch square pieces sewed together. Now that will teach you patience is nothing else but a shorter method is to cut 1 inch strips and sew them together and cut it to size to have 1 inch squares in a block.
    cparant

I cut them up into squares 2 1/2 to 6 1/2 inch size or if it is width of fabric 2 1/2 strips and have stackable bins for them. When I need something mindless to do then I grab a bin of the precuts and do a scrap quilt. Our local quilt group just did a 1600 quilt push for local charities so I was able to put together about 12 sets from leftover fabric and strips that I had.

Scraps are great.A suggestion,use 1 fabric such as a light or dark all thru the quilt and the scrap pieces with it.Log Cabins,Rail Fence and a lot of others.Bonnie Hunter`s method is the best for cutting and storing.

Missouri Star Quilts has a new tout about spider web quilts, made from scraps. Something you could work on, as you have scraps available, then put together when you have enough blocks.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

when i get an accumulation of scraps, i repress them, trim off, and cut blocks of various sizes and strips of various widths...very little actually goes to the wastecan...these ready mades are great for scrappy quilts, potholders, appliques, and other projects. one of my favorite things to do is to put these scraps togeth to make a large block (about eighteen by eighteen)-make two of these then using a animal template or pattern i make stuffed toys/pillows from them...some are so ugly they are cute and others are truly loved to be received as gifts by all ages.

I love your mantra, by the way, and try to keep it in mind so I am not too quick to judge others

Scraps: I organize them by color then sew the like colors together to make 'fabric' I then have a very interesting yellow (or blue or ?) background fabric to applique onto or to square up into blocks. Its fun to build the 'fabric'.

I've also cut them down to like squares (2.5, 3 or 4 inches) and store them in shoe boxes for making scrap quilts. If you plan to make HST out of them, just add 7/8 to it or a full inch and size them up to fit later
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Quilter1942: your avatar quilt is gorgeous. Is it a pattern you could share with us? Jacob's ladder? I would love to see a larger pic.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
    Scraps are great.A suggestion,use 1 fabric such as a light or dark all thru the quilt and the scrap pieces with it.Log Cabins,Rail Fence and a lot of others.Bonnie Hunter`s method is the best for cutting and storing.
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taino Jan View Post
    Think outside the box, er block. Scrap quilt, applique, confetti. I don't cut fabric until I know exactly what I will do with it. And the possibilities are endless. Happy quilting.
    Most of my quilts start out with scraps because of my tight budget and desire to recycle fabrics. I never cut until I know what I want to try with my pieces. Have fun!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Any piece of fabric that is 12" or larger can be used as a narrow border for a baby quilt cut into strips. I also sew the smaller pieces together for a crumb quilts, make doll quilts out of the small pieces, little girls don't care, all they want is something to wrap their baby with. Log cabin quilts are good to use to scraps. There are many ways to use scraps, just don't cut left overs until you are ready to use them. I also pin a small slip of paper onto the end of the quilt fabric that I have, that way I don't have to measure it, I already know how much fabric is in that piece.

I have large bins that my left over fabric goes into. Then when I get into organization mode,i start cutting. I have smaller bins for 6" square,
    5", 4", 3" squares. I also cut strips of 2.5", 2", 1.5". 1" or smaller strips I keep for making fabric baskets.
    I am now using 3" strips for binding so I will likely be cutting strips and squares.

You never know what you will need so I try to cut the biggest size possible, since I can always cut these smaller later if needed

Also note that in order to go into my scrap bin it must be smaller than a an either yard or fat quarter, else it goes on the color stack

I just finished a baby quilt and had a lot of little pieces left over so I made potholders.

Yep, they all have the right idea. Make a scrap quilt. I cut them into strips - 5" squares and down to 2" squares. That way I have lots of precut fabrics when the bug hits me to make a quilt. I love scrappy quilts!!!!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

I also keep the 'crumbs' and just started some blocks. I was amazed at how easy they went together - I did them after I was finished with my quilt sewing for the evening, and 10 minutes later I had 4 blocks! I also separate into 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3" strips for something more real. I found crumb quilt instructions on this board a few days ago. I was 'overwhelmed' at the thought of scrappy, but now I feel like I have a handle on that term!

Check out Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User system! When I finish a project, I take those small pieces and cut them into squares, as mentioned by so many in the above thread. In this article Bonnie will tell you how to go about this!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html

I pick out several easy scrap quilts that I want to do. One is more specific, and two others are not as specific in sizes ---- I keep three shoe box size rubber maid containers. As I clean up my scraps, I throw them in a box that the fit into or into my big box of scraps. I also keep a 1 1/2 inch container (very small) for the 1 1/2 inch squares for my someday project.

Each person figures out what will work for them. I have been quilting for years and this system has been developed over the years for me and really works for me.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

Thanks for sharing, now maybe I get my scraps organized!

Using your scraps is like free fabric. The little peices I sew a few every other block in a chain . Don't worry about matching grab two pieces that are about the same size and put them through.Just keep adding . Then choose a size. I like 6 inch, iron and use template cut off every little bit that sticks out. I was told this was called a crumb block. At the end of my first year I made 8 lap quilts with what I used to through away. I donate most of them.
    Make it fun!
    Christina(Chrissy)

I usually get frustrated with the mess and give mine away. But I think this year I may cut into squares or strips and sew them together into blocks. I saw a tip this morning in a news letter to cut left over batting into 6 inch squares and stitch the scraps to those. Use up both at the same time.

I like to take scraps and just sew them together and than cut them into a rag quilt blocks using the Accuquilt rag dies for the GO and STUDIO. With all those dies you can create all sorts of styles of rag quilts from simple with an X in the center using only squares or using rectangles along with squares and free motion quilting as you go each block and create a Take 6 Rag quilt, to also using rag dies such as butterflies, flowers, whatever and appliquing it in center of those rag dies. CAN YOU TELL I LOVE TO DO RAG QUILTS and create my own one of a kind design.
    cparant

I read the past two posts and like the ideas!

I have to confess I've never kept scraps...but that is going to change since I saw the quilts by Edyta Sitar. Oh MY!!

http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/Shop/shopindex.htm
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast