Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do with scraps >

what to do with scraps

what to do with scraps

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I cut whatever the biggest size i can get out of the scrap.. so it can be anywhere from 10.5x10.5 to as lil as 2x2.. each size, Accuquilt shape have it own Sterilite see thru drawer.. Ill either rotary cut or use my GO dies.. Whatever utilizes my scraps the best with less waste..
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Edyta Sitar is another that uses a lot of scraps, http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/Shop/shopindex.htm
Also see if your library has any books on scrap quilts, there are lots of designs out there
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Anything under a fat quarter and over a 5" square, I fold and put together in one drawer. If it's just over 5" square, I go ahead and cut and I have a stack of 5" squares. I recently made a large disappearing 9 patch with just my 5" squares. Fabric under 5", I place in plastic drawers by color. They come in handy for applique. Small strips of 2" or less, I am crocheting into a rag rug. If it's less than 2" square, I usually toss unless it's green. They make nice leaves for applique. Hope this helps. What to do with scraps is one of the harder things to figure out.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html Here is a scrappy quilt show from the QB. Grab a cup of coffee sit back and enjoy! Most of my quilts are from scraps.....love scraps
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
SEW

I am a scrappy fan. Just finished a purple pinwheel quilt for my grand daughter and next I will make a quilt for her dolly with the leftover scraps! I also enjoy going through the scraps, there is a memory attached to each and every one of them!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
There are a lot of beautiul patterns that require small pieces of lots of different fabrics. Here is one of my DH's. he loves just sewing 2 1/2 inch blocks together. I like simple, yet complicated looking patterns.[ATTACH=CONFIG]300970[/ATTACH]
#1, I love this! Please tell your husband that he did a fantastic job with it. I really like it alot, and I think it has a lot of colour due to the amount of reds in it. It looks old-fashioned because it's scrappy, but it also looks modern as many of the fabrics are more contemporary.

I'm currently making a quilt with leaders and enders (see Bonnie Hunt
http://quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml) and I could very easily do one like yours.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM

One of my favorite sources for scrap inspiration is the series of books called Nickel Quilts. I think there is a total of three in the series. All of them have some great quilts.
I don't cut any scraps till I have identified the pattern, I do keep them sorted by type and color.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

I personally love scrappy quilts and there are so many patterns out there. Don't cut the scraps until I know what I plan to make. Right now I am working on some Mile A Minute blocks to make soldier quilts for our guild. But the sad thing is the boxes of scraps don't seem to be going down, in fact it looks like they are having babies. lol
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM

If you cut your scraps before you know what you want to use them for they probably won't be in a sufficient size to use for applique blocks. Therefore, before you cut into blocks or rectangles be sure you don't like to do appliques. However, many people think they are the prettiest of the quilts.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
I have been quilting for just a little over a year now and I cannot believe the large box of left over material that I have accumulated. Does anyone really use left overs to make quilts? Do you cut strips or 5" blocks? I don't know where to start - any hints will be greatlty appreciated.
Thanks
NormaBeth

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html
Go to this post and see all the beautiful scrap quilts you can make with your scraps! Also, Quiltsville.com has directions for many more. My avatar is a scrap quilt. Scrap quilts are beautiful!