Thread: Crazy quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
deemail

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Velvet is not a good choice for a quilt that you intend to wash. Most velvet is a dry clean only fabric... and never looks the same if you do wash it. Velvet does not like to be pressed!
sorry, velvets are made from cotton (velveteen), rayon or silk....all these fabrics are washable... i wash my silk shirts ALL the time... dry cleaning is a huge boondoggle and they wash way more of your clothes than you think.... suits, fine, coats, fine, but crazy quilt? wash when necessary, which is not often, anyway... I put all my quilts into a dryer now and then to get rid of the dust before it gets into the middle of the quilt... ...and besides, rarely is there a fabric that cannot be washed if it is washed before sewing... if it does all of its shrinking and pulling and twisting before you cut and sew it, it will be fine... and the velvet will not be pressed after it is sewn and embroidered... if you need to press during construction, then turn face down, onto another pcs of velvet, or thick towel, steam from a half inch above, touching very lightly, the steam will do the work, do not squish... then turn over while hot and rub lightly, gently... with dry towel to bring up a nap...

Last edited by deemail; 01-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.