Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
kathdavis

Default 9 Patch Wonder Block Potholders Tutorial per your request

Per your request, here is my tutorial on the 9 Patch Wonder Block Potholders or Quilt Blocks. Since I haven't figured out how to label my pictures I will try to describe each picture in this section then all the pictures will follow. I really miss the old board's format. I actually knew how to post a picture and them write under it back then.

P.S. Okay, the first picture to show up is the back of the finished potholders. I don't know why that one appeared first when it was posted last, but that is not picture 1. Picture 1 is labeled 1.

Step 1 - Picture 1
Make a nine patch block out of 4" squares. You will need 4 patches of fabric A, 4 patches of fabric B, and 1 patch of your accent C fabric. Arrange blocks like in the picture with your accent C fabric patch in the center, fabric B in the corners and fabric A around the accent patch.

Three fat quarters should yield four potholders and you change the fabric from A to B, then C, and change the accent C fabric to A or B for each new potholder you make. Each of your four potholders with have the same fabrics but in different locations on the 9 patch block so they will all be a little different.

My red, black and white potholders look a bit more complex because I cut my 4" square out of 2 1/2"strips which had been joined, so that added more fabrics and made it look like I pieced together more blocks. But, really I was just using trimmings from a quilt I had made.

Step 2 - Picture 2
Fold this nine patch block in half with right sides together and sew the two short sides with 1/4" seams.

Step 3 - Picture 3
Now open it up and match the two side seams. Pin the long diagonal center seam leaving a 3" opening near one end. See Step 4/Picture 4 for details.

Step 4 - Picture 4
Be sure you don't leave the opening at the very end, but stitch about 3/4" in (which will later create a corner), then leave the 3" opening and then continue sewing across, all using a 1/4" seam. The 3" opening will be used to turn it right side out along with the Insul-Bright batting,when it is time in Step 7.) Flatten the block out. The side with this seam and the 3" opening is the back of the potholder/quilt block turned inside out.

Step 5 - Picture 5
Since you will end up with a potholder/quilt block 7 1/4" square, cut two pieces of Insul-Bright batting 7 1/4" square. I stitched these two pieces of Insul-Bright batting together all the way around the square with 1/2" seams. This will help keep them together. They seem to want to slide around so that is why I used the 1/2" seams.

Step 6 - Picture 6
Place the double layered Insul-Bright square on the table and the front side of the potholder down on top of the Insul-Bright. Remember the potholder is still wrong side out. (I tried spraying the Insul-Bright with 504 spray and then placing the potholder on it, but they do not stay stuck to each other through out all of the turning inside out, so I just skipped the spray on my last potholders.)

Step 7 - Picture 7
Now, turn the whole potholder inside out along with the Insul-Bright batting. It is a bit of a struggle turning inside out with the Insul-Bright batting through that 3" opening, but it does turn inside out and will flatten out nicely. Remember to use a tool of sort to point out the corners because once you stitch the 3" opening up it will be too late. Press and pin the 3" opening shut.

Step 8 - Picture 8
Hand stitch the 3" opening shut as I did in my first completed potholders and you are finished.

When making a quilt instead of potholders, you would use regular batting instead of Insul-Bright. Then after making several of these quilted blocks, butt them up to each other and join the blocks together with a zig-zag stitch or any other decorative stitch that would join the blocks. You can then quilt the blocks to keep the batting in place by running a diagonal line from corner to corner and block to block. This would also help join the blocks together too.

I'm a teacher by trade, but this is my first tutorial to post. I hope I covered everything and that the pictures help. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them and I will answer or help clear things up.
Attached Thumbnails imag0506.jpg   imag0507.jpg   imag0508.jpg   imag0509.jpg   imag0510.jpg  

imag0511.jpg   imag0512.jpg   potholders-1-.jpg   potholders-backs.jpg  

Last edited by kathdavis; 01-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.