View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
katykwilt

The first sewing machine I bought was a 600, in 1963. My dh was at a remote Air Force site in Alaska and told me he bought a reel to reel tape deck for $500. My machine was about $300 -- it still runs beautifully. I recently got a 600e for free and have been working on it. The metal case it not machined as well as the 600 and in several ways, I found it to be of lesser quality than the 600. However, I am using it to teach others how to sew, as I do with another 600 I got for $40, a 648 for $40 (both in cabinets). All are touch & sew, all are workhorses. I spent more about $80 to get the 600e working, but have had no problems with it since. I have never thought the touch & sew machines were hard to thread -- or to wind the bobbins. Perhaps I'm just used to them. I do have about 5 other machines as well, including a Janome 6500, so have some experience with the computerized ones too. My preference for good standard reliability are the two Singer 600's. Parts aren't expensive, bobbins are easy to find and hold the same amount of thread as the spools for the 66's and 99's. I liked the bobbins because you could easily check to see what was left -- didn't have to take it out to see. Hope you have good luck with your new toy.