View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
jljack

Default Finally Moved Mom in With Us....

...and so far so good. Early in December she had a very slight heart attack, and passed out and fell at home. She had a Life Alert, and barely remembers pushing the button. The paramedics came, got into the house, and found her. She was fully conscious by the time they got to the hospital and figured out what happened, but the docs had a hard time getting her heart rate back up to over 55. She is 87 so they don't really want to do a pacemaker, and she doesn't want one. She has clotting issues, too, which makes that surgery really risky. So, no.

We brought her home right to our house, since there was too much risk of her being home alone again. She's a sweet lady, and she and my DH love each other like mother and son...amazing!!

But, that was only a few days before Christmas, so between Christmas and New Years we spend the whole week painting our extra bedroom and moving all her bedroom furniture in. Since then we have been going through all her stuff at her place, and determining if it's "Give, donate or throw". Luckily my siblings and their kids and my daughter and SIL all have been helping with this slow, tedious process. My mom is very pragmatic...no emotional attachment to "stuff" for her!! She is holding on to her pictures, her jewelry and some little trinkets that were her parents' or her siblings'.

When this season comes up for you and your parents, I hope that it goes as well as it has for us. Since we have been with Mom so much more, we have noticed that her memory is really deteriorated, and she relies on us to figure out what all the forms and things that come from insurance are about. So, watch your parents closely. They will say "I'm fine", but that may not be so. I am so happy that she was willing to move in with us before something really tragic happened. Start talking to your parents a long time before the actual time to do it comes...it just makes it easier if everyone is on the same page.

Hope this advice is helpful to some of you. Blessings!!