View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
cathyvv

We've been through this with both my MIL and Mother. My MIL was a difficult lady all her life, but the last 6 months of her life were almost magic, she was so easy to be with. She'd had 2 strokes and dementia, and couldn't remember anything long enough to get mad or be nasty. Both my DH and I count that time as a blessing for her and for us.

My Mom stayed with DH and I for the last 7 months of her life. She had advancing altzheimers and was so hard of hearing that she couldn't hear the phone when it rang...so we were always worried about her. She finally got sick enough to be hospitalized. I talked to my siblings about 'going home' and we all decided that she should come to our house, since I wasn't working and they were. She was MAD to say the least, and told me living at my house was like being in prison, and called me the warden. We all stood firm. It was funny because we didn't ask her to do anything she didn't do when she was home alone, except come to the table to eat (otherwise she got no exercise at all!) and get to bed by 2:00 AM! Finally had a talk with her about it, and she calmed down and accepted the situation. Ironically, she was not a difficult person in general, but was difficult at the end. But it was a gift to be able to spend that time with her, and I miss her a lot.

Enjoy your time with your Mom. You'll make new memories and feel your love for her grow.