Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
LauraRG

I avoid Wally World, so buying fabric there isn't something I would do. My local JoAnns is a mile from my house, very small, but has some good staff and I can usually find what I need there. A larger Joanns a few miles away is completely different - colder and less personal Sure the selection is bigger, but more doesnt always mean better.

I am getting back into quilting after a break of several years (doing mending, some home sewing and enjoying other pursuits) so I stopped in the LQS (about 3 miles from home) just to see what they had. My first visit wasn't great - the staff wasn't unfriendly, but they weren't exactly bubbly either. I wasn't sure I would return, until I realized I loved one of the fabrics I had purchased and wanted more of it, so back I went. It was a completely different experience. The staff (different people) and other customers were delightful, helpful and welcoming. It changed my impression.

So for me the bottom line is that you should shop where you feel comfortable. If you like what you see, but not WHO you see, try another time of day or a different day of the week. You might find somone you can "click" with. I'll continue to stop in at JoAnns for some things, and yes, their coupons are great. But I'll also visit the LQS. I'll just avoid the people I wasn't crazy about! I am fortunate to have a few options so close to my house!