Thread: Scary Situation
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 AM
JUNEC

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I had my bio up on ebay because I buy quite a bit from there. I put it up 2 years ago and totally forgot I did. I was so stupid that I put in the small town I live in and where I use to work in this very small town.
Well, I placed a quilt for sale on ebay just to see what the market was like and I had a "Rudy" write me a email telling me how pretty my quilt was and how she liked my bio so much. So I wrote back to her after a week (I thought it was weird that she wrote me in the first place) and chatted and asked about her life and she told me she had a 20 month old daughter and how she's 40 and she is glad she waited so long to have a child and and a few more details and then we started emailing each other and I was enjoying visiting with another gal, even though I didn't know her and she didn't quilt. But then she started talking about some different type of things and I suddenly realized that it wasn't a gal I had been sharing my thoughts with but a 40 year old married man. A man!!!! Wow! Freaked me out! So I went to ebay and deleted everything I could delete.

I have a blog and went there and took out my town and other info that I don't want everyone in the world to know. I just thought maybe some of you have info on the web and might be like me and be trusting and not realize what can happen. My husband said that bad people can figure out exactly where you live and who you are and then a whole lot of bad things can happen to you. They can steal your identity, find where you live and stalk you and many more things than I could even think of. I guess there are people out there who do this for a living. So, if you have a bio anyplace, you might rethink what you want to share with the world and all the bad people out there. I am so nervous that I'm taking out everything I need to to keep my identity private.
Just be careful out there.
Call Ebay - they will walk you through how to rermove info - also report the cheep at the same time - good luck