View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 AM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

I spent the better part of the day on yard duty yesterday. :( I have this golden flame honeysuckle that the hummers like and I had a hummer hover 2 inches off my nose looking at me while I was working near it. I was very still and just looked back. Amazing ... I will never forget that.

I have had the worst luck taking any pictures of the animals who visit my yard this year. Sorry I can't show one. We don't have such colorful birds here on the west coast as you gals do. But, we do have a tiny owl that lives in the ground. The cutest little thing you ever saw! Just brown and grey but so darling.

Our state bird is the nevada blue bird. He looks much like a blue jay without a top knot. I have one that screams into my open kitchen window if I don't have food out there for him. That little pill ... LOL! We have finch, but they are mostly just brown. The male has a little red face. And they sound like a squeek toy, not a song bird like yours. I have a pair in my front trumpet vine nesting there.

Sorry I went on so... But, I just enjoyed your pictures so much, I got inspired. Beautiful! You should send them in to Birds and Blooms magazine.