View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
FMQ on a DSM is extremely difficult. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Many talk the talk but few can walk the walk, even with practice, myself included. My LQS now has a long arm machine. I signed up for lessons on it. I can then FMQ for $15 an hour. I think it's a good deal because I've thrown away quilts with fabrics worth much more than the $ it would take to longarm my next quilt. I also have to take into account the aggravation/tearing my hair out factor. I really excited about the class. Maybe you know someone who would let you rent their longarm.
I wanted to start FMQ my own quilts and I have a Janome. I took the class and feel really confident doing a table runner or wall hanging. I tried it for the first time on a twin size quilt right before Christmas and I HATED IT!!! I just don't enjoy the struggles I have to go through to do it. So I will continue to do SID and straight lines and send out any quilts that I want fancy quilting on. I know that there are quilters out there that do it on their domestics and their quilt tops turn out beautiful. Just not for me. . . .