View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
Just wondering- How many here feel comfortable FMQ on their domestic machines and how many have tried more than stippling and meandering?? If you have tried, do you have any special things/techniques you do to make the process successful?
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

These are just for inspiration... but there is tons of stuff there... one of the easiest things to practice on is handwriting. FMQ is to Longarming as moving the paper rather than the pencil. so this is a little awkward for a bit... BUT handwriting is something we all have plenty of muscle memory for.... put the small sandwich under the needle and whatever foot you're using, foot feeds wherever you want them.... and then practice writing your name....over and over.... when you get a recognizable word.... then practice some of the designs on the site i gave you. just think of it in that way and it will help your brain convert.... you will be writing by moving the 'paper' under the 'pencil'.....

PS, I FMQ on a couple of singers, a pfaff, a new home and a white.... it's the practice that matters, not the machine... and I like gardengloves with the fingers cut out.... 2 reasons.... with the fingers cut out, you cannot grip hard with your fingertips... the tendency to grip really hard with your fingertips is what tires you so quickly... this way you have to use your palms and the whole hand... the second reason is that your fingers will be available for detail work without taking off the gloves... I cut off between 1.5" and 2".... it really helps...

Last edited by deemail; 01-24-2012 at 10:14 PM.