Thread: Jelly Roll
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
kcat114

Hi Everyone!

I have a question that I hope some of you may help me find the answer to. After some research, I recently decided to make a jellyroll quilt. I bought the book Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott, and bought a jelly roll on ebay.

My question is: Is there a definition for what a jelly roll is? I have thought it has to be either:
a) an assortment of 40 2.5-inch fabrics
b) 2.5-inch strips of each fabric from an entire fabric line.

I found these definitions through the internet. Is this correct?

The reason I would like to know whether there is a standard definition for what a jelly roll is and what it consists of, is because after I received my ebay purchase I started my project immediately. Halfway through, to my disappointment, I realized I only had 25 strips in my jelly roll, not the 40. I went back to my ebay page and re-read the item description carefully, and under details it did mention it has 25 strips. I think I should also mention that the jelly roll was a very low price at $15. When I bought it, I had read "Moda Jelly Roll" in the title and in the description, so I have automatically assumed it would have the standard 40 strips...
I emailed the seller about my disappointment - I don't think I overpaid (since it was only $15), but I asked them if calling it a "Jelly Roll" might be misleading, and their response is "there is no definition for a jelly roll" except that it is "an assortment of 2.5-inch, coordinating fabrics".

I feel a little mislead and upset, because I now have a partially finished project and (after researching the internet) know that I do not have each of every fabric in this particular Moda line (I am missing many of the other designs since I only have 25 strips).

The seller recommended me to just buy another jelly roll of the same line from them to finish my project...but I am in a dilemma. Should I feel upset about this? Or am I misinformed and it is unreasonable for me to feel this way?

Please help me!
And thank you all in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
kcat114

p.s. The book I bought assumes all "jelly rolls" have 40 strips. It mentions 40 in the introduction, and for each project it lists the supplies needed as "one jelly roll, or 40 2.5-inch wide strips." - this was also partly why I had assumed a jelly roll has 40 strips...