View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
MissMermaid

I learned how to sew from my mom 11 years ago. All of the "older ladies" in the family knit/crochet/make clothing/some form of needlework, but no one that i know of quilts.

I'm on the summer before leaving for college, and decided i wanted to take up quilting...so I started about a month ago.

I bought one of those BOM sets from Jo-Ann's, the whole set, and just started at the begining and worked my way through. took about 3 weeks to piece the whole thing together (83" square quilt top!) and my mom has since decided my birthday/channukkah gift from her is having the quilting professionally done at the local shop...which im fine with, because its huge and i have a small machine, and wont have the time to get a large quilt quilted by hand in a remotely timely fashion, what with starting school soon and all.

SO...now im making a lap-ish sized quilt top, doing all the piecing by machine before i leave for school in 3 weeks (i hope!) and my plan is so hand quilt it throughout the fall term, to hopefully give to the boy for christmas.