View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
MissMermaid

I learned how to sew from my mom 11 years ago. All of the "older ladies" in the family knit/crochet/make clothing/some form of needlework, but no one that i know of quilts.

I'm on the summer before leaving for college, and decided i wanted to take up quilting...so I started about a month ago.

I bought one of those BOM sets from Jo-Ann's, the whole set, and just started at the begining and worked my way through. took about 3 weeks to piece the whole thing together (83" square quilt top!) and my mom has since decided my birthday/channukkah gift from her is having the quilting professionally done at the local shop...which im fine with, because its huge and i have a small machine, and wont have the time to get a large quilt quilted by hand in a remotely timely fashion, what with starting school soon and all.

SO...now im making a lap-ish sized quilt top, doing all the piecing by machine before i leave for school in 3 weeks (i hope!) and my plan is so hand quilt it throughout the fall term, to hopefully give to the boy for christmas. unless i keep it for myself and just lovingly share it with him (weve been together all through highschool, im okay with putting the emotional investment into it...at least a quilt he'll use...hes afraid to wear my hand knit socks for fear of ruining them...silly boy.)

oh, and im doing the forever yours design by Annette Ornelas. and im loving it.