Thread: Is this a 201?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
DawnFurlong

Okay, so found another machine off Craig's List. After reading and re-reading The Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog about identifying machines - I think I've got this one right (http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/vi...ingers_30.html).

Can someone confirm that this is a 201-3? Has the round plate for the stitch regulator, has what was referred to on the blog site I referenced above as the steep ski slope on top left, has the tension dial on the front, has the little white light switch on the front. Also looks like potted motor (which is what would distinguish this from being a 201-2 - which has a belted motor). Additionally I noticed that it looks like it is a flat plate under the spool pin.

I can see that there is a beige cord hanging down from the bottom right side of the cabinet. That tells me that at least part of the machine has been rewired (because aren't all original cords black)?

Did I do okay identifying this one? They are asking $40 for it. It has been posted since the first of January on Craig's List. The machine is located a little over 2 hours from me, so trying to decide if I want to make the drive. Machine looks reasonably clean. I have emailed the seller to ask if it has the bobbin case and any feet. The cabinet would need to be refinished, but seems to be in decent condition (compared to many I see).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]307786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]307788[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-201-3_temple.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Singer 201-3_Temple.pdf (43.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf
Singer 201-3_Temple.pdf (43.1 KB, 108 views)