Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a 201?

Is this a 201?

Trying to identify Singer machines.

Is this one a 201? It looks like the tension dial is in the front - but I do not know which other machines have the tension dial in the front. I know 15-91's are on the side, and 301s look more boxy.

Name:  sewing machine san antonio.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  36.5 KB

Im not sure but its GORGEOUS!!!

I am looking at pictures of 201's - and I think they have a lever and dial for the stitch length choices. This one looks like it only has a knob. It is on Craig's list for $45 (in a city I don't live in - but my parents do - and only about 5 miles from the seller!!). The seller indicates it is a circa 1930's machine. Wish they would post better pictures. Don't think they know anything about the machine. They just want it gone!

I am currently obsessed with these vintage machines!!! I never would have thought this of me. I keep telling myself - you just acquired a 15-91, be happy with that (and I am very happy!). But that said, in all of my researching I have also determined that I would also like to get a 201 model as well. So keeping my eyes out for a really good deal. Not so afraid to purchase one that needs some work, re-wiring, etc.

Would prefer to wait a bit before purchasing another sewing machine (even if only $45) - but deals come when they come.

uh oh.. look who caught the bug! I'm not great at identifying the machines... but here's what I noticed. The machine is smaller than the hole in the table... so it's either a 3/4 machine in a full size cabinet (a 99 maybe), or it's a kenmore cabinet, or of course I could be half blind and crazy

Machine is still available. I do ultimately want a 201. Know nothing about a 99. But if I offered $25 and to have it out of this person's hands TODAY (the add said they wanted it gone today - and the add was posted a few days ago) - worth it to me I think to just be surprised!

Is it possible to know the model of the machine from the model #? The seller indicates they have that (well, I am guessing they will take it off the machine).

If one can't tell the shape of the machine (this one looks worn, can't tell if that is rust on the machine) - can all of that be spiffed up? Thinking more about if it has rust.

Blog Entries
    Yes, having the serial number will definately enable us to look up the model of the machine, which I agree looks like an early 99... (Keeping in mind, of course, that I've been wrong in the past, and most likely won't change that behavior! )
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Looks like a 66 to me, but it's hard to tell in that cabinet. Like Charlee said, it would help to have the serial number. Pretty machine.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffygirl View Post
    Looks like a 66 to me, but it's hard to tell in that cabinet. Like Charlee said, it would help to have the serial number. Pretty machine.

Pat
    You might be right Pat, the faceplate looked flat to me, but looking at it again, it could have a curve to it!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Well, I decided against pursuing this further, though I read a lot on Singer 66 and 99 models - so more knowledge for me!! When I came across this - I was looking for a 201. I decided to stick with my original plan. Also, I decided that I would so much rather find something that I can go and see, and that if I am patient, the right machine will come along at the right price. But it was an enjoyable read this afternoon - and now I have an idea what the 66/99 look like (as compared to the 201-301 and 15-91), so will be better prepared in the future.

Check out this blog entry:

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/vi...ingers_30.html

This is an awesome blog for anyone interested in vintage machines.
    ~~Cathy~~

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Check out this blog entry:

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/vi...ingers_30.html

This is an awesome blog for anyone interested in vintage machines.
    Thanks for the link! Wonderful reading, very helpful info to help in identifying different models.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a 66 to me, too. An early one.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't matter if it is a 66 or a 201 - they don't make them like that anymore... It will sew just about anything
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    A 201 has a light on the front of the machine. That is a 66.
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

Almost sorry I let the seller know I was going to pass. Probably good I get my feet wet with the lovely15-91 I just acquired. Going to arrange a service call for her for a check up and to verify what will need replacing and how soon (wire-wise). There is someone in my area that services these machines (and others). They do housecalls, so I don't have to figure out how to get it out of the cabinet. I will be watching everything he does and asking lots of questions! Then I will feel more confident in the future with cleaning and doing a bit more on my own machines.

i used a 201 for my job in a yarn shop for years in the early 60's... the stitch regulator should be a lever that slides up and down... it's a super machine....
    "Each day well-lived and Happy
    that's all there is to LIFE!"

This is a 66. I have one and LOVE it... but mine is a treadle. These machines do not have a "reverse", just so you know. All they do is stitch forward-- beautifully.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's not a 201 as I have one. I think sewbizgirl is correct and it is a 66. Just for your information, there are four slight variations of the 201. The 201-2 has the light at the front, a potted motor and is more common in the US while the 201-3 has a belt driven motor and the light at the back and is usually found in Canada.
    Last edited by Shelbie; 01-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

One way to always tell a 201 is under the hand wheel, facing the front, there should be a white plastic toggle switch for the lamp. I have yet to find one without the white switch; I'm sure they are out there due to people rewiring and such, but usually it is there.

I have my Mom's 201 and it has 201 and the serial number on the bed just under the gold oval plate on the right side. With the serial number I found out the machine was made in 1956 in NC
    Irma

Did you buy that 15-91 that was in the painted cabinet with flowers on it? If so was the cabinet as pretty in person???

Hi Dawn, that's an early model 66, with no reverse or backtack.

- Rain

Blog Entries
    I don't know which machine it is, but I'd probably have her anyway! But I'm becoming a machine junky!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast