Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
lfstamper

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I have a Bernina 640 and a White Pearl. I was raised on Vikings but now days the Bernina beats it hands down. If you are sewing for family the B will walk over jeans hems for shortening pants. I do some alterations as well as having a long arm quilting business. The B switches to a single hole by changing the plate. It just pops in and out. I have BSR for it but haven't used it because of the long arm. I would suggest learning to machine quilt without it before making a purchase. It appears many don't feel the need for it. The walking foot is a good investment if you are going to attach binding. It works great. I would not buy a bunch of extra feet other than that and possibly a quarter inch foot, they have several types of them. Good luck on making your decision. Try them several times and go home and think about them before making a choice. It's almost as difficult and important as buying a car.
I have the Bernina 730 and love it but am considering a newer machine so I will have this one for embroidery and the other one just for quilting. I have the BSR but prefer the Leah Day method for free motion which does not require the BSR. With either you have to practice to keep your stitches even and navigate so learn without as silver needle suggests. Then the BSR will make it easier if you go that route. I do not have any other machine brands so try them all. Write down what features are most important like mirror image, a favorites button or knee lift, etc, then compare them. Good luck with your choice. You will never regret a Bernina.