Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon 7700 vs. Bernina 550QE vs. used Bernina 440QE >

Janome Horizon 7700 vs. Bernina 550QE vs. used Bernina 440QE

Janome Horizon 7700 vs. Bernina 550QE vs. used Bernina 440QE

Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM

I have been extremely displeased with my Bernina since day one. My machine needed to go back to the factory, because the dealer wasn't able to fix a problem I had with it. Their service was poor, not consumer friendly, and expensive. Their attachments are very expensive too. I spent a summer teaching lessons at a Bernina dealer, using a variety of Bernina machines. I discovered that most of them had the same issues - which solidified my opinion that I would never purchase another Bernina product.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I have the 440 and love it. I do wish it had a thread cutting feature, but obviously I can live without it. I have a good friend that has a Janome and she hates it. It is very fickle about what threads she can use and seems to need constant attention.

I say try them all and then buy the one that makes you happy!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62 View Post
I have the Horizon 7700 and have had it since it came out. Yes there was an issue with the design of the 1/4" foot, but they sent everyone who registered their machine a new one. It has a little notch on the bottom. It has definitely made a world of difference. I haven't had a problem with it since, sewing over the bumps, but sewing over bumps seems to be a little tricky no matter what machine you use.

My best friend works for a sewing machine dealer/repair shop and said by far, Bernina sewing machines are in the shop more than any other brand on the market.

I had the Janome 6600 which also had problems going over bumps, and I agree, the lack of a freearm was a bummer, I traded it in for the 7700 and I also have the Janome 11000SE and I just picked up the new Janome 4120QDC for taking to classes (it weighs 13 pounds).

If quilting is your thing, Bernina machines are notoriously short in the throat area, almost comical when looking at them, the feet are expensive. The 7700's extra throat space has been a godsend to me anyway.

It's a shame that Bernina has a BSR for a machine with such a small throat area. Seems like a waste.

Try them all, but I'm a Janome girl, so take it with a grain of salt.
I'm a Janome girl all the way. I traded an old Janome in last year for the 7700. I was seriously considering the Bernina as everyone raves about them. I'm VERY happy with my Janome 7700. Did register and got the new quarter foot. I agree bumps can be a tiny challenge although nothing to keep me from recommending. Love, love, love the big throat space! Absolutely no regrets.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM

I love, love, love my Janome Horizon....had been leaning toward the Bernina 550 QE (mainly for the stitch regulation) but after reading all the reviews I could get on both and learning the stitch regulator has some drawbacks I ended up with the Horizon. Love the large harp, extension table, found it pretty easy to learn to use. Check out Leah Day (Daystyle Quilting) for her take on it if you haven't already.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM

I have the 7700, have had it since it came out. I love it. I do freehand quiltiing and it does a beautiful job. I have never sewn on a bernina, although people who have them love them. It's a personal preference, but I've been sold on Janome for the past 20 years. It is a wonderful machine.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 AM

I agree on the idea of trying them all out. I had a 7700 and it was too frustrating for me. I changed over to a Juki 2020 and a Janome 6600 as my main machines. The 6600 is a dream and a workhorse. The 7700 was just too dad gum temperamental. I didn’t need it’s constant drama.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I also have the 440 aurora QE and love it. There is a tremendous amount of built-in embroidery patterns for quilting. But, since I use my 180 artista for that, I seldom use the 440 anything but piecing and machine Free motion quilting with the BSR. I also sew purses, home dec and clothing with the 440. It performs great every time. For me there is nothing like bernina. Before I bought these, I had a Bernina Record and it was wonderful. Over thirty years and never a problem. My younger sister has it now.