View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Yarn or Fabric

My boys' school has no classroom funding for this year... so the Pta in all of their creativity (I'm being sarcastic here - it's a long story) and said that the classrooms should make up themed baskets to raffle or auction or something off at the next PTA meeting.... Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this idea is dumber than a bucket of hammers and is not going to bring in much funding for the classrooms but I do want to support the classes so for my older son's class the teacher chose fall/winter holidays. I am the only one who has brought in anything to add to the basket.... I sent in a set of 6 bright place mats (originally started for a swap then I decided they were too horrifically bright for my recipient so I set them aside - good thing since they came in handy!!) and then I made a set of 8 (because that's what ended up coming out of the fabric without scraps oddly enough!) criss cross coasters. I'm also going to be sending in numerous boxes of new Xmas lights once I go up in to the attic and pull them down so I can send them in...

I ended up liking them A LOT more once I quilted them.. and I made friends with my quilting guide bar. That's a sweet tool!! I'd say I'll make myself a set since they are relatively quick and easy however I have other plans for winter placemats for myself this year...!!

So watch your eyes!

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...sscoasters.jpg[/IMG]

The coasters in the middle I made for myself. Funny. Once you have some of your own fabric coasters you want more - in every room so I'm glad I finally got off my butt and made myself something too!!

and the placemats. . they are double sided - the back side is not nearly as busy - only has the 3 snowmen prints on it but I neglected to get a picture of them before I took them in to the school! Oh! The second picture shows the snowmen fabric at least. It was just one big square and a long skinny rectangle going across the bottom and a smaller rectangle going up along side the square. OKay. I can picture it lol.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../placemats.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...atquilting.jpg[/IMG]

I'm hoping that it will sell for at least what the fabric cost. I'm doubtful that this half baked preschool inspired get the classrooms rich scheme is going to work (the PTA board is composed of 4 preschool teachers and the basket raffle was one of the many things their preschool does to raise some money) This is suppose to be ALL of the money the classrooms will get for the school year. That is just sad. Gotta love budget cuts in education :cry:

Dang those are some seriously busy place mats! But ya know - maybe someone will love them. I have debated making and sending in something else however I only have so much time ya know? - and I'm not sold on the whole idea (the teacher has said outright to me that the teachers think it is a ridiculous and stupid idea all around... we'll see how it goes. Actually I won't be going to the PTA meeting that they are raffling it off at. I am not joining the PTA this year. Instead of giving them my $5 for them to squander it on overpriced things that the school can probably do without I'm helping to sponsor the school buses so the kids can go on field trips - it costs $80 a bus for the field trip and they don't have money in the budget to pay for the buses so myself and a few friends are chipping in to pay for the buses for the field trips)