View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I can't tell you what works, but I can tell you that Sharpie's do not. They make a nice bright color, and the fine tips allow for precise coloring. Upon rinsing in the sink, the colored area doesn't seem to lighten up, but the water definitely turns color, and there is a little bleeding onto nearby areas. They might be permanent in the sense that you can't get out the color if you want to. I have had a similar experience with Marvy markers -- the kind you don't need to heat set.
Actually Sharpie has now come out with a fabric marker that's rated quite highly. It's called Stained and is a brush tipped fabric marker. The Feb/March 2012 issue of Quilting Arts has an article comparing five fabric markers along with the regular Sharpie markers (which are not intended for fabric). They show the results unwashed, after 7 days in the sun, washed but not heat set, and washed plus heat set.

Take a look at the Tsukineko Fabrico Dual Markers. They come in 36 colors and have both a brush tip and a bullet tip for fine details.