Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coloring fabric/Quilt Label Collective >

Coloring fabric/Quilt Label Collective

Coloring fabric/Quilt Label Collective

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Default Coloring fabric/Quilt Label Collective

I recently purchased software that has over 150 quilt label designs. There are very few instructions with it. Because my printer no longer prints true colors I want to color these labels after they're printed on fabric. I need expert advice on what there is out there I can use to color muslin labels. My biggest concern is that the colors are permanent so it doesn't wash out when the quilt is washed. If you can give me some suggestions on what to use and where to purchase it I would be most appreciative.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Try Derwent Inktense pencils. There have been several threads on this board about them and I believe there's also a YouTube video. They can be purchased at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Dick Blick stores or on the Internet.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-06-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: fixed double sentence
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 AM

You can color them with Crayola crayons then place a paper towel on top & press with fairly hot iron to remove excess wax. My avatar quilt is colored with Crayola. I was told to only use the Crayola brand.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Why doesn't your printer print true colors?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM

I can't tell you what works, but I can tell you that Sharpie's do not. They make a nice bright color, and the fine tips allow for precise coloring. Upon rinsing in the sink, the colored area doesn't seem to lighten up, but the water definitely turns color, and there is a little bleeding onto nearby areas. They might be permanent in the sense that you can't get out the color if you want to. I have had a similar experience with Marvy markers -- the kind you don't need to heat set.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I can't tell you what works, but I can tell you that Sharpie's do not. They make a nice bright color, and the fine tips allow for precise coloring. Upon rinsing in the sink, the colored area doesn't seem to lighten up, but the water definitely turns color, and there is a little bleeding onto nearby areas. They might be permanent in the sense that you can't get out the color if you want to. I have had a similar experience with Marvy markers -- the kind you don't need to heat set.
Actually Sharpie has now come out with a fabric marker that's rated quite highly. It's called Stained and is a brush tipped fabric marker. The Feb/March 2012 issue of Quilting Arts has an article comparing five fabric markers along with the regular Sharpie markers (which are not intended for fabric). They show the results unwashed, after 7 days in the sun, washed but not heat set, and washed plus heat set.

Take a look at the Tsukineko Fabrico Dual Markers. They come in 36 colors and have both a brush tip and a bullet tip for fine details.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 PM

In the past, I have used actual "fabric marking pens" that look like sharpies but made specially for fabric. Look for those.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Thank you all for your help. I went to Michael's today and was amazed at all the available products for this. I guess I just don't get out enough - if I did I wouldn't have bothered you.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

I would love to hear from people who have washed the quilts with labels printed and hand colored to know how long or if the colors last. I have been printing my labels but I am wondering if they will last over the years....or just fade away later.