Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

The other day I was shopping for my favorite eye make-up remover in a high-end department store (it's the only one I've found that doesn't give me a rash around my eyes). I rarely shop at this store, but I had to walk past the women's clothing to get where I wanted to be. Lo and behold, I saw a pair of acid-washed blue jeans with holes (HOLES!), strategically placed, I'm sure, on the knees and pockets. They were absolutely worn out from washing! If they'd been in my closet, they would have been transitioned to gardening jeans long ago. But these were brand new, hanging on a hanger, waiting for some idiot to buy them. The price? Care to guess?

$179.00!!

Who would pay $179 for jeans (no less) that won't survive three more washes? I could have found something far less "worn out" at Goodwill for about $12. Is this nuts, or what?

As I always say, some people have more money than cents (pun intended).

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For further proof Americans have gone crazy, price prom dresses. :shock: I know people paying $500!!!!!!

Prices are high! Since apparently shifts are back in, I'm just shortening my dresses from around 13 years ago, when long shifts with jackets were in-glad I saved them!!!

Isn't it rediculous! Oh...and I bet we use the same eye makeup remover....it's SO gentle...Lancome??

OMG!!!!! I about fell out of my chair!!! $179.00
    There are people that will buy them........ What I could do with $179.00?????? In a couple of washings, well, it will probably tear your washer up with all the strings that are on them.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    For further proof Americans have gone crazy, price prom dresses. :shock: I know people paying $500!!!!!!
    My friend's Gd did and tore it in 5 min.!!!!!!! That is crazy!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Doesn't surprise me really. My son just had a fabulous wedding for a very reasonable cost. What I hear people paying for weddings is like the cost our first house and more!! lol :D:D

Blog Entries
    To explain the fad I listen to a desinger give an interview. Americans like the worn out look, but do not have the time to distress their own jeans, or make the best jeans look right. So they (the desingers) are doing it for us. That way we can have our favorite "worn" jeans without haveing to go through the time it would take to Wear them out.
    Since distressing them takes time, they cost more.

To listen to this guy talk was so interesting, You want me to willing pay more to have you ruin a pair of jeans, and I will agree to this because I don't have the "time" to do it myself. Uh huh, right, I don't think so.

Let's face it - if you had a TON of money to spend (with no problem of getting more), wouldn't you buy it?

I don't do that because of years of living close to the bone (almost broke). Right now I wouldn't do it because I'm losing weight & changing sizes just quick enough.

Blog Entries
    i shake my head at goodwill prices -- guess I'll change my mind --there jeans are cheap.

My granddaughter saw some, with more or less the same description you gave, for $250, on sale. People who pay that have too much money and not enough sense to spend wisely. Just think of the good they could do with that "excess" money.

Even if I had the money to spend, there is NO way I would spend it on clothing that overpriced.

I 've got a few pairs in similiar condition I would be willing to sell and even pay the shipping at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Isn't it rediculous! Oh...and I bet we use the same eye makeup remover....it's SO gentle...Lancome??
    That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I 've got a few pairs in similiar condition I would be willing to sell and even pay the shipping at that price.
    Oh, I like that idea!

yeesh, lol, most of my jeans got holey for free, just work in the garden in them a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    Let's face it - if you had a TON of money to spend (with no problem of getting more), wouldn't you buy it?

I don't do that because of years of living close to the bone (almost broke). Right now I wouldn't do it because I'm losing weight & changing sizes just quick enough.
    Nope wouldn't do it even if I won the lottery. When my DD was in kindergarten all the girls had designer jeans. She wanted them too. She was told no dice. And why would you want to run around with someone else name on your bottom giving them free advertising? I made all her clothes , had to. Even though her stepdad made good money I didn't get much of it. So she got really nice clothes that no one else had. I thought I instilled that "no one else has it " in her but I guess not. She loves Steve Madden shoes. And she would give her eye teeth to be able to buy a pair of shoes with red soles . Some designer I have no clue. LOL
    But she did go the hair dyed different colors and tattoos. LOL no one else has her tattoos.

Ok so the old jeans I have that are worn out, with holes in various places and a patch over the hole in the rear end would be worth at least $100 because they are originals. Right???? LOL

I can always put my name on them..... :roll:

I was a single mom for 10 years. I know what its like to be so broke, I wasnt sure how I was going to get grocerys. I have always gone to thrift shops, and looked for the best deals on things. Now that my kids are older, and things arnt as tight, I still go to the thrift stores! I have never paid more than $8 for a pair of jeans & never will! If I won the lotto, I still wouldnt pay $179 for a pair of jeans!

we have a resale shop in our town they sales jeans for $.99. You can find all kinds there cheaper than Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Prom dresses here cost about 500! As the dollar is about 1.67 to the it means that yours is a bargain. And yes, holey jeans are in fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    I was a single mom for 10 years. I know what its like to be so broke, I wasnt sure how I was going to get grocerys. I have always gone to thrift shops, and looked for the best deals on things. Now that my kids are older, and things arnt as tight, I still go to the thrift stores! I have never paid more than $8 for a pair of jeans & never will! If I won the lotto, I still wouldnt pay $179 for a pair of jeans!
    I buy all my clothes at Goodwill these days. I find great stuff there. My favorite brands, sometimes with the tags still attached! And I love it when someone admires something I'm wearing and I can say, "It's a Goodwill find!"

I can remember when hole-y jeans were in style the first time around, 70's???
    didn't think much of them then either. And don't forget the acid-washed jeans, they were ready to fall apart too.

Hey, we have people buying a bottle of water for $1.50 out of a vending machine, nothing surprises me.

I've solved that problem - thrift store. They've been washed and dried hundreds of times so I know they won't shrink and they average $4 a pair. When I get tired of them, I make a tote bag for a gift for someone and buy another pair. I worked in retail - women's clothing - for years and if I told you that it probably cost them $7 or $8 to have the $179 ones made, you'd really be upset!!! Jan

Last week, a customer brought to me, a professional seamstress, a pair of jeans with worn spots and frayings and she was so proud of them because she purchased them on sale. They hung so low on her hips it was embarassing to me. She was mid 50s in age. She wanted the length so long, they were dragging on the floor. I do not know why she even bothered paying me to shorten them.

Blog Entries
    I have seen these too :roll: :D:D:D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast