View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
thepolyparrot

I love Hobbs Fusible - crawling around on the floor to iron it (TWICE! Once for the quilt top and once for the batting! ACK!) is not fun.

But I have made a waist-high 8' square basting table out of sawhorses and 2x4"s and 4'x8' sheets of OSB ply split lengthwise and basting is now much easier, whether I'm ironing, pinning or tag-basting. It's still no real joy to baste a quilt, but I try to set up the table and do a bunch of quilts all at the same time, and even though it's a pain in the neck to set up, my knees and back aren't screaming at me for the next week.

The Hobbs Fusible feels stiff when you've ironed it, but I think that that's actually an advantage when you're free-motion quilting - you can push the quilt around more easily when it's not flopping around, limp.

And it softens up after only one laundering - I can't tell the difference between a quilt made with fusible and a quilt made with Hobbs Premium or Heirloom after it's been washed. I really love the stuff!

Connecting Threads has all their batting on sale right now - 30% off and free shipping on orders over $50:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...v--BattingSale

I wish they made the fusible in the 120x120" size.