View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I tell them I have no set thing in mind but if I have any question I'll let them know. That usually gets them back to doing as they were.
That's tactful and should get the point across.

If it doesn't, try writing a very kind and gentle letter to explain to them that you would love to shop in their store, but you don't like people hovering over you while you shop. You're happy that they're available to answer questions, but that you like to wander around and muse on various fabrics and mentally take notes. When a store clerk hovers, it's distracting and you can't keep your train of thought.

Open with a compliment on something about their store and the staff, state your problem kindly and close with a compliment and the hope that they will succeed because the more successful quilt shops there are, the better for you as a quilter.

You can be anonymous, if you wish.

I'm like you - and fortunately, we have just about the perfect quilt store here in my area - no hovering, but plenty of staff to help you when you're ready to cut fabric or checkout or have a question. Very friendly, but not looking over your shoulder. Good luck!