View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Christine-

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
I use Sullivan's Quilt Basting Spray. It is temporary & doesn't gum up my needle at all. I love it! I also use school glue for small things. News paper protects from over-spray. I use this method for whole quilts. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566
This quilt show video is good, but there are a few mistakes with this method. She states that she uses 505 basting spray. But it's important to note that she is using 505 incorrectly.

1. She holds the can only 3-4 inches from the fabric surface. (The directions on the can state you should hold the can 10-12 inches from the fabric surface.

2. She states "you WILL get a glob on your needle", in fact she shows you what the glob looks like in the video. The can states you will NOT get a glob on your needle. The reason she gets globs is because she is holding the can so close to the fabric. When you hold the can this close, of course you get a thick, concentrated amount in a small area. This is why she gets globs on her needle. In fact, if you watch in the video, you can see the adhesive turn white on top of the fabric due to how thick she's gunking it on there.

3. She says the sticky "will last up to 5 years". But the can states it is TEMPORARY. The reason she gets 4 to 5 years worth of sticky is because she's spraying a thick, concentrated amount on her fabric. When you spray a ton of adhesive on the fabric it WILL be permanent, not temporary.

I wish they'd do a better job explaining this method. I bet the spray manufactureres grit their teeth if they've seen this video, LOL. My take on it is this: If you want the sticky to last forever, spray the adhesive 3 or 4 inches from the fabric. If you want the spray to be temporary follow the directions on the can.

I've used 505 for the last 12 years, and have used KK2000 and KK100. For me personally, I spray 8-10 inches away from the fabric.
I find the 505 washes out of the fabric when I'm done. But DO NOT under any circumstances wash fabric that has KK2000 or KK100 on it until it has dissipated. It WILL become permanent, trust me.
505 will stay around for roughly 2 months, whereas KK2000 and KK100 only lasts a few days.

I use 505 for quilting and KK2000 and KK100 for machine embroidery.

Last edited by Christine-; 02-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.