View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by QuiltMania View Post
When my kids were small, I would sew while they napped or when they went to bed. I would also sew on the weekends. I also started training them early (in small doses at first) how to amuse themselves and play without me being attached to them 24-7. BTW, just my 2 cents worth, but when a man is watching his own children, it is not "babysitting" and I made sure my DH knew that from the start. If you are home with your daughter all day, you are working just as hard as your DH is. OK, off my soapbox now.
Good ideas. I too, hate the idea that a man who watches and interacts and plays with his child is "babysitting". Instead, he should think that he is spending quality time with his child!

But, I think that teaching your child that you can do something like sew while she is doing something else quietly would be well worth your time. Unfortunately, however, until she gets quite a bit older, your chance to sit at the machine for hours like you want are probably nonexistent! It was probably my biggest struggle--as I didn't sew very much when all of mine were young. However, now that mine are older (we have 5), I can sew and sew--but the youngest is now 14. I think in a way, it is helpful to have more than one at a time at home, so they can play together.

But uninterrupted time to focus on anything when you have a small child at home just doesn't exist for most moms.