Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For those with kids...when do you sew?

For those with kids...when do you sew?

We have a 3 year old little girl so my time is limited. I try to sew on one of the two days she is at Mother's Day Out, the other one I try to do most of my cleaning. Hubby works all day and doesn't want to come straight home to "babysit" so normally it is later in the evening before I even attempt to sew and even then it is a stop and go type sewing since Little Bit won't let me sit for long.

I am really itching to sit and sew for hours. I have several quilts I want to start (though 2 I have to wait to order some more fabric on payday) but no time.

So do you just sew late at night or what?

Thanks!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    some times I say the hell with house work on a saturday and I will sew all day, so my house cleaning does not happen and my 5 year old son runs a muck and if I get alot of sewing done, then it turns into a Sunday as well... other times I stay up til midnight, then I am grumpy at work... well some one has to suffer.. why not the guys at work!
    Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    We have a 3 year old little girl so my time is limited. I try to sew on one of the two days she is at Mother's Day Out, the other one I try to do most of my cleaning. Hubby works all day and doesn't want to come straight home to "babysit" so normally it is later in the evening before I even attempt to sew and even then it is a stop and go type sewing since Little Bit won't let me sit for long.

I am really itching to sit and sew for hours. I have several quilts I want to start (though 2 I have to wait to order some more fabric on payday) but no time.

Thanks!
    Squirrelly Shirley

lol...my little one doesn't run a muck when I am trying to do something, she wants to be right in the middle. So it is either when she is not home, or asleep. Even when Hubby is home, she seems to "get away" from him and "finds" me. I guess the late nights are an option, though Little Bit is usually up by 6:30am!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

I have a 2.5 year old. He still naps during the day for about an hour or 2. I try to get some cleaning done and dinner started while he naps so that after he goes to bed for the night, I can sew until I'm too tired to do any more.
    Also, I think it's important for daddy to spend some time with him, so, they usually do dinner at the family pizza place one night a week, and sometimes go out on Saturdays when I can have sewing time.
    I hope you get some time behind your machine soon!
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Thanks! I think part of my itching is because I had surgery on Jan 18th and it limited me from climbing stairs for a few days and then I still couldn't sit for too long.

Hubby has drill this weekend but he said he will try to give me some time Sunday if he gets out early enough. So we shall see.
    Sabrina

Thats tough, I must admit things that now take me one day to make used to take me a year.
    But I would not trade it for the world.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I usually sew in the evening when my kids are in bed. I don't mind to sew during the day, but I don't want to iron when they are underfoot, so I tend to just sew in the evening. They do like to 'help' me though!

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post

Thanks!
    When my kids were small, I would sew while they napped or when they went to bed. I would also sew on the weekends. I also started training them early (in small doses at first) how to amuse themselves and play without me being attached to them 24-7. BTW, just my 2 cents worth, but when a man is watching his own children, it is not "babysitting" and I made sure my DH knew that from the start. If you are home with your daughter all day, you are working just as hard as your DH is. OK, off my soapbox now.

My boys are all in school now so I have all day to sew. My DH is amazing and when he comes home from work (1 PM) if I am in the middle of something he works with the kids homework, does laundry, cooks dinner and then cleans the kitchen. However, he is AD Coast Guard so I am a single mother a lot of the time so when he is home he spends as much time as he can with the boys and helping me around the house. I love him

When my kids were little I would give them the play dough, they could only play with it on the kitchen floor so I sewing at the table, kept them occupied for hours.

My Mom sewed and we played on the floor right beside her. What fun when she used up a spool of thread! It became ours to play with! Scraps of fabric fell to the floor when she was cutting out patterns......Oh Boy!!! Scraps of yarn......we were playing the whole time and never left Mom's side. Hmmmmmmmm and one wonders why I love fabric so much....LOL!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Banned
    When I first started quilting, my youngest daughter was 2 years old. I put a little table and chair in my quilt room and I then provided her with lots of age appropriate craft supplies, playdoh, coloring books and a crayons, etc. I just mixed it up day to day. She would spend at least an hour or more with the stuff I gave her and it gave me time to work on my quilts. Besides that time, I would quilt while she napped and again when my hubby got home and took over toddler duty.
    Last edited by SuzanneG; 02-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.

I guess I was fortunate...when mine were little they played with each other or by themselves if I was sewing...so I usually got a lot done. Can't believe how much time kids take now!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

When my husband is home after work, or when I really need time, thats what grandparents are for, just drop them off, nap time is a good time. Although when hubby is home she still wants to be with me sometime so just whenever you grab a chance

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG View Post
    When I first started quilting, my youngest daughter was 2 years old. I put a little table and chair in my quilt room and I then provided her with lots of age appropriate craft supplies, playdoh, coloring books and a crayons, etc. I just mixed it up day to day. She would spend at least an hour or more with the stuff I gave her and it gave me time to work on my quilts. Besides that time, I would quilt while she napped and again when my hubby got home and took over toddler duty.
    What a neat idea, I might have to use that

What if Grandma wants to be sewing? sometimes I begrudgingly take my step grandkids even thought I have plans, yes we have fun but sometimes it disrupts what I wanted to. Grandparents should not be babysitters, We take them when we have time to enjoy them the most!! After all we all ready raised our kids! Off my soapbox now. OOPs

I took care of twins from time they were l until they were 4. They played on the floor right behind me--often with fabric scraps. I guess I was lucky because they entertained each other. I sewed at night when my kids were growing up. I worked away from home and after supper dishes were done, I sewed and the kids and their dad did whatever--usually watched TV. I remember the youngest boy spent one winter sitting on the corner of my sewing desk, watching me and playing with his tiny toy trucks. (It was a 5 ft oak office desk, sturdy as could be.)
    God Bless,
    Rachel

Thanks everyone. I do give her fabric and a marker so she can "measure" like Mommy but then she wants to sew. Lol. She is a mommy's girl through and through. Hubby was deployed her first year so we built a bond that is pretty tight. And she is also not one to sit for too long. She gets that from her daddy. But I might try to find her a small table to put upstairs. She has some toys up there but not much.
    Sabrina

When my kids were little I couldn't sew because there 9 of them and one would always be ding something they should't in normal kid fashion we also owned our farm so had to help there But I am making up for lost time now and if the grad kids come over I just put it up and play with them

When my daughter was very little she sat in her pumkin seat(now car seats) right beside me or in the clothes basket. When she was fussy I put one of my husbands stretch belts around me and her and she would fall asleep on my shoulder area sort of. As a toddler it did become more difficult. I did give her fabric scraps and construction paper and kids glue stick. She made pretty art work. I would also give her child safety scissors and fabric. Her favorite was plastic canvas and plastic needle threaded with yarn and she could make a big mess. (But she was sewing like mommy)
    I taught elementary school at this time so my sewing was after school with her, or on weekends and summers. My husband was also a teacher and coach so he had longer hours than I did. But I was lucky b/c I taught fifth grade in a little community.So once a week a parent would let me bring her daughter home with me for a couple hours to play with my daughter who was in heaven with a big girl to play with. The fifth grader liked being a suprise for my daughter so it was great. Many times I also sewed late at night. So try different things and eventually one of these ideas will help. Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania View Post
    When my kids were small, I would sew while they napped or when they went to bed. I would also sew on the weekends. I also started training them early (in small doses at first) how to amuse themselves and play without me being attached to them 24-7. BTW, just my 2 cents worth, but when a man is watching his own children, it is not "babysitting" and I made sure my DH knew that from the start. If you are home with your daughter all day, you are working just as hard as your DH is. OK, off my soapbox now.
    Good ideas. I too, hate the idea that a man who watches and interacts and plays with his child is "babysitting". Instead, he should think that he is spending quality time with his child!

But, I think that teaching your child that you can do something like sew while she is doing something else quietly would be well worth your time. Unfortunately, however, until she gets quite a bit older, your chance to sit at the machine for hours like you want are probably nonexistent! It was probably my biggest struggle--as I didn't sew very much when all of mine were young. However, now that mine are older (we have 5), I can sew and sew--but the youngest is now 14. I think in a way, it is helpful to have more than one at a time at home, so they can play together.

But uninterrupted time to focus on anything when you have a small child at home just doesn't exist for most moms.

I have 3 kids, ages almost 8, 5 1/2 and 3. I would never have time to sew if I wasn't a night owl. I stay up after everyone else is in bed so I can sew. I should add that I homeschool, so my kids are always around and our days are very busy.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

Blog Entries
    Last Saturday, I was up until 3am after putting the kids to bed. I paid for it the next few days due to lack of sleep but I got something done!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I have 5 kids at home; but all except 1 are in school during the day. So, on weekdays, I usually try to do during naptime. Also, I usually give myself 1 day off a week of doing any housework, and so I'll sew more often then. I tend to have more time on the weekends, since hubby is home to help with all the kids/house stuff.

I just need to point out how lucky all of you are that have the sweet little darlings that will sit and play with anything for longer than 30 seconds!
    No amount of teaching is going to make my boy want to sit still, though he has no problem entertaining himself. I can't take my eyes off him for more than 30 seconds or I will regret it when I see the mess I have to clean up. I keep telling myself he is curious because he is smart. LOL
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast