Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those with kids...when do you sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-kids-when-do-you-sew-t178898.html)

tngal22 02-10-2012 03:59 PM

For those with kids...when do you sew?

We have a 3 year old little girl so my time is limited. I try to sew on one of the two days she is at Mother's Day Out, the other one I try to do most of my cleaning. Hubby works all day and doesn't want to come straight home to "babysit" so normally it is later in the evening before I even attempt to sew and even then it is a stop and go type sewing since Little Bit won't let me sit for long.

I am really itching to sit and sew for hours. I have several quilts I want to start (though 2 I have to wait to order some more fabric on payday) but no time.

So do you just sew late at night or what?

Thanks!

girliegirl 02-10-2012 04:04 PM

some times I say the hell with house work on a saturday and I will sew all day, so my house cleaning does not happen and my 5 year old son runs a muck and if I get alot of sewing done, then it turns into a Sunday as well... other times I stay up til midnight, then I am grumpy at work... well some one has to suffer.. why not the guys at work!

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 4962857)
We have a 3 year old little girl so my time is limited. I try to sew on one of the two days she is at Mother's Day Out, the other one I try to do most of my cleaning. Hubby works all day and doesn't want to come straight home to "babysit" so normally it is later in the evening before I even attempt to sew and even then it is a stop and go type sewing since Little Bit won't let me sit for long.

I am really itching to sit and sew for hours. I have several quilts I want to start (though 2 I have to wait to order some more fabric on payday) but no time.

Thanks!

tngal22 02-10-2012 04:08 PM

lol...my little one doesn't run a muck when I am trying to do something, she wants to be right in the middle. So it is either when she is not home, or asleep. Even when Hubby is home, she seems to "get away" from him and "finds" me. I guess the late nights are an option, though Little Bit is usually up by 6:30am!

dixie_fried 02-10-2012 04:12 PM

I have a 2.5 year old. He still naps during the day for about an hour or 2. I try to get some cleaning done and dinner started while he naps so that after he goes to bed for the night, I can sew until I'm too tired to do any more.
Also, I think it's important for daddy to spend some time with him, so, they usually do dinner at the family pizza place one night a week, and sometimes go out on Saturdays when I can have sewing time.
I hope you get some time behind your machine soon!

tngal22 02-10-2012 04:17 PM

Thanks! I think part of my itching is because I had surgery on Jan 18th and it limited me from climbing stairs for a few days and then I still couldn't sit for too long.

Hubby has drill this weekend but he said he will try to give me some time Sunday if he gets out early enough. So we shall see.

wanda lou 02-10-2012 04:20 PM

Thats tough, I must admit things that now take me one day to make used to take me a year.
But I would not trade it for the world.

beaniekins 02-10-2012 04:24 PM

I usually sew in the evening when my kids are in bed. I don't mind to sew during the day, but I don't want to iron when they are underfoot, so I tend to just sew in the evening. They do like to 'help' me though!

QuiltMania 02-10-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 4962857)

Thanks!

When my kids were small, I would sew while they napped or when they went to bed. I would also sew on the weekends. I also started training them early (in small doses at first) how to amuse themselves and play without me being attached to them 24-7. BTW, just my 2 cents worth, but when a man is watching his own children, it is not "babysitting" and I made sure my DH knew that from the start. If you are home with your daughter all day, you are working just as hard as your DH is. OK, off my soapbox now.

pinkberrykay 02-10-2012 04:50 PM

My boys are all in school now so I have all day to sew. My DH is amazing and when he comes home from work (1 PM) if I am in the middle of something he works with the kids homework, does laundry, cooks dinner and then cleans the kitchen. However, he is AD Coast Guard so I am a single mother a lot of the time so when he is home he spends as much time as he can with the boys and helping me around the house. I love him:o

Up North 02-10-2012 04:54 PM

When my kids were little I would give them the play dough, they could only play with it on the kitchen floor so I sewing at the table, kept them occupied for hours.