Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those with kids...when do you sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-kids-when-do-you-sew-t178898.html)

Xtgirl 02-14-2012 07:00 PM

My daughter is 2 and not only am I trying to find time to sew, I'm starting a longarrm business. My husband and I are both active duty military and I'm exhausted at the end of the day. For now, I set up a super yard gate in the basement were the longarm is. Put toys and a slide in there. When I really need to get things done, I let her play with my iPad...she watches PBS kids.....bad mom...I have no idea how parents ever get anything done. I'm hoping it goes a little easier soon. We also have the grandparents who love to take her or come over and play so that helps. I'm so tired that I end up going to bed at 8pm...

pgmb 02-14-2012 08:36 PM

I have three grandchildren , ages 4.5 to 9y/o and I sew a little each day . Give the little one something to play with and tell him/her that they are helping you to sew and train them that way and your sewing time will get longer and you will be teaching them some thing with out them them know it . Example my four year grandson knows squares from rectangles and how to count to twenty and know his basic colors .....................pgmb

annies-best 02-14-2012 08:55 PM

my 5 year old grandson is with me a lot and wants to be in the middle of everything i do he is old enough for some scissors so i give him fabric to cut and he sits beside me to sew we have strict rules on touching the machine. but i make sure he is a part of what ever i do he asks everyday how much longer till i can sew on the machine? i know at her age she is not quite old enough for that but get her some fabric and play scissors even if you can't sew "right now" because you have to help her sew... it will help you in the long run as she will want to be with you and learn sorry there is no short term answer except stay up late ... but i would start working with her now, to give you some peace later

tngal22 02-16-2012 07:43 AM

I bought her some scissors yesterday. I let her pick out a fabric from my scrap box to play with. And when I get done sewing, I let her "sew" her fabric. It seemed to work good yesterday so we shall see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1000projects 02-16-2012 07:50 AM

I have my quilt frame up on blocks, to keep little hands off of it. Same with my quilting table.

I do my piecing in the office, with a TV show (super Why) on the computer (netflix or hulu.)

Yosamitesa 02-16-2012 07:53 AM

HA HA HA!!! I have a newly turned 2 year old lil boy. Sewing, what is that??? I sew when life allows, in the evenings after bed, when my mom comes to give me a break, when I tell hubby he either watches him for a couple of hours on a Saturday or I will pull my hair out and go to the looney bin. :D It just takes longer to complete projects. No biggie. It all works out in the end. :)

TiltedEars 02-16-2012 08:02 AM

My kids are 8, 9, and 11. We are into many after-school activities & some days I feel like I am running around without any direction. I never leave home without a tote bag with some kind of hand-sewing project in there. I make yo-yos at basketball games, embroider during wrestling, etc. My oldest has youth group at our church on Sunday nights from 6-8:00. I come equipped with my rotary cutter, ruler, and mat. I can get a lot of cutting done while he's there & be ready to sew when I am at home with my machine. Last summer, while my daughter was at a dance class at our town park, I was in a rush to get some hospital gowns made for her upcoming surgery, so I went with my cutting supplies & pattern. I got most of the hospital gowns cut out while waiting for her at dance. Yes, folks look at me funny. No, I don't really care. Once I am home, I do not usually get to sew until everyone is in bed, so from 9 or 9:30 until I can't stay awake any longer. One lady I talked to at a sewing gathering said that she set her sewing machine in the living room while her kids were very small & watched a show or movie with them. I also learned from a LQS owner that you cannot expect to get any sewing accomplished if you constantly put your sewing machine up & take it down. If you can't sit down & just sew when you have a few minutes, then you won't sew at all. My dining room table is usually full of sewing & my house is usually cluttered... but I sure do make beautiful things when I have enough time! :) No one will remember me for my house, but I sure hope they remember me for my sewing!

Quiltgirl26 02-16-2012 07:26 PM

My son is 16 months and I take him up to my sewing room with me and he plays with his own toys etc. 2.5 hour naps during the weekend since I work full time and once he is asleep. On the weekends usually I can sew from 8:30 to 11:30 pm. He sleeps in until 8:30 am so I still get plenty of rest.