View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 AM
rekrug

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I fought the battle with Minky fabric yesterday and lost. I was making a tag blanket for my granddaughter, just 15 x 15. The front was four squares with her name monogrammed in the middle. I pinned the front/back together and started sewing. It was uneven and bunchy so I started trimming, even though it was even when I pinned it. When I finished the blanket the name was no linger centered, clearly an inch off.

By the time I stopped for dinner, I was feeling like I can't do this. My mother taught me to sew years ago, and she was a dressmaker, working from home. I used to sew when my kids were little, but put it aside for years. I've started back in the last year, thinking I was doing pretty well, until last night. What could I have done differently?
I have never worked with Minky, but did read some information about sewing it. The suggestions were to pin, pin, pin, pin and to not try to use a 1/4 seam, rather 1/2 or larger. I love the bumps, but haven't seen any quilts that look polished and squared using Minky. Somehow, the tailored look of a pieced cotton top with Minky on the back doesn't "look" right to me. Maybe flannel top and Minky? That would be snuggily!