View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM
june6995

Aw Shucks! Lots of people have older sergers...before they thought they could make the darn thing thread itself.
I have one that is nearly 30 years old. I learned how to thread it - and can still thread it and only use it once in a Blue Moon. Quilters are usually smart enough to figure out a lot of things, and a serger should be among those things. You might want to buy a used one that someone else does not use. You CAN learn to thread it. Mine is a Singer and has no bells and whistles but sure did one great job for me all the years I did dressmaking. It worked on knits as well as nylon lace, and has never caused a problem. A person can do just as well with an inexpensive machine, as a pricey one.
If a person feels better about spending $2000, then that is what they should buy. For me, I would go with the standard model, because it is something you probably won't use a lot.

Maybe you will get some more input from those who bought less expensive rigs. You don't need an 18 wheeler semi-truck then a pick-up will do the job. have fun shopping.

June in Cincinnati