Any Serger Experts?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Any Serger Experts?

I am interested in purchasing a serger. Unlike this board where you can find all kinds of information on quilting, I have been unable to find any updated info on serger users on the internet. As with sewing machines you can spend $200.00 to almost $2,000.00 on sergers. After reviewing a lot of the brochures, they all have similar specifications, but the price driver seems to be the threading capabilities.

I would just like some advice on what sergers you use, what is important to look for, etc. I think you could really overbuy and have features that you would never use and would like some opinions.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM

I have a Baby Lock with the jet threading and self-adjusting tension and love it for those two features. I must say that's why I traded in my old serger. However, threading wasn't so bad on the old one once I realized that you just tie the new thread onto a length of the old, already threaded one and pull it through. I guess whether you spend a lot of money for all the fancy features depends on what you want to do with your serger. I have a daughter with Down syndrome whose clothes all need to be altered and I wanted a machine that could do a cover stitch to hem her long-sleeve t-shirts, knit pants, etc. So I went for the model with more capabilities and I'm glad I did - especially that self-adjusting tension, it sure saves breaking threads which my old one did all the time and this one never does. I use my machine a lot for sewing all sorts of things from prom dresses to slip covers so it was worth it to me to spend a lot of money. But if you don't think you'll use it that much or if you don't need the cover stitch, chain stitch, etc. then there are a lot of perfectly fine sergers out there in the $200 range. A couple of my friends have Berninas in the lower price range and love them. Find a couple of good dealers and test drive several different brands in different price ranges (and don't let the dealers talk you into more machine than you need or want) so you'll know the difference. I believe in buying from a good dealer where you can get lessons on your machine and good service if you need repairs but I know people who have bought theirs from discount stores, fabric stores, on-line and been perfectly happy. good luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM

I have a Brother Imagine which I got on sale for $1500. I traded in an older model. It is my third serger. It is definitely the best and I consider it a bargain since it is hassle free - It adjusts it's own tension, it threads the lower loopers itself. It doesn't have the cover stitch, but I really don't need it and I use another stitch instead. Sometimes with my old serger - another brand- I would have such a hard time seeing the place to try to get the thread to go and then the tension would be wrong that I would cry - finally just put it in the closet. What good is a machine in the closet? I consider using a "basic" sewing machine like asking a secretary to use an old non-electric typewriter instead of a computer. Why do it?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I really wanted a Babylock with all the bells and whistles, but decided I needed to start at the bottom and purchase a lower end machine to introduce myself to serging. I purchsed a Janome serger that was easy to thread manually, not intimidating and I felt comfortable using it. I purchased from a dealer so that I could get help and classes even though the model that I purchased is readily available at Hancock's. At $200.00 I felt that it was good starting point for me. I was really afraid to overbuy and would have kicked myself if I invested in a Babylock and then did not use it. Wish me luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 AM

I wish you luck, but that sounds like deciding your first car has to be a 2 cyclinder manual shift two person capacity in case you really don't like driving. I sincerely hope you find you like serging and would like to do all the wonderful things the more advanced machines are capable of doing. Computers make a whole wonderful world available to us that formerely we couldn't even imagine.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Aw Shucks! Lots of people have older sergers...before they thought they could make the darn thing thread itself.
I have one that is nearly 30 years old. I learned how to thread it - and can still thread it and only use it once in a Blue Moon. Quilters are usually smart enough to figure out a lot of things, and a serger should be among those things. You might want to buy a used one that someone else does not use. You CAN learn to thread it. Mine is a Singer and has no bells and whistles but sure did one great job for me all the years I did dressmaking. It worked on knits as well as nylon lace, and has never caused a problem. A person can do just as well with an inexpensive machine, as a pricey one.
If a person feels better about spending $2000, then that is what they should buy. For me, I would go with the standard model, because it is something you probably won't use a lot.

Maybe you will get some more input from those who bought less expensive rigs. You don't need an 18 wheeler semi-truck then a pick-up will do the job. have fun shopping.

June in Cincinnati
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
Aw Shucks! Lots of people have older sergers...before they thought they could make the darn thing thread itself.
I have one that is nearly 30 years old. I learned how to thread it - and can still thread it and only use it once in a Blue Moon. Quilters are usually smart enough to figure out a lot of things, and a serger should be among those things. You might want to buy a used one that someone else does not use. You CAN learn to thread it. Mine is a Singer and has no bells and whistles but sure did one great job for me all the years I did dressmaking. It worked on knits as well as nylon lace, and has never caused a problem. A person can do just as well with an inexpensive machine, as a pricey one.
If a person feels better about spending $2000, then that is what they should buy. For me, I would go with the standard model, because it is something you probably won't use a lot.

Maybe you will get some more input from those who bought less expensive rigs. You don't need an 18 wheeler semi-truck then a pick-up will do the job. have fun shopping.

June in Cincinnati
You are so right. I know I won't be using it a lot right now and went with a "pickup" truck version to get my feet wet. Really, after I discussed with the salesperson about the tying off of the threads to re-thread, I did it in the store by myself and threaded the needles too with no problem. I test drove sergers up to the $600.00 range (some didn't sew as quietly or nicely) as the cheaper one. I am satisfied with what I purchased and my DH told me, I did the right thing. He said if you see you are using it, and need more - then purchase something nicer. We're not too old but wise enough to realize how many times in life you overbuy and realize you purchased more than you need so we shall see.

I appreciate all the advice!