View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
CD, You must live too far to attend a TOGA. ... Are you talking about just having a retreat without the other stuff that happens at TOGA, i.e. raffles? ...the potluck meals!!!
I’ve been to one TOGA (NETexas) and enjoyed it very much. My wife and I hope to go again this April. There were several treadles there last year. We hauled two down, one was a sold delivery and the other was a swap machine that eventually became a raffle machine (I didn’t want to haul it home). Others hauled in their treadles for both sales and demos. There was hardly a time when someone wasn’t sewing on a treadle during the 2-day event. I’m a hand cranker, so my wife and I took turns sewing on a Singer 185K that I’d converted to hand crank shortly before that trip. That one, and my hand crank Featherweight that usually goes along with us since I got it set up.

Most of the Retreats that I’m aware of are “ladies only” and not co-ed events like the Togas, so I wondered if the ladies ever had PP (People Powered) retreats. I’m talking about the ones where they get a block of rooms at a resort hotel or something and stay for a couple of days and a night. Seems like they could potentially have their sewing area outdoors for part of the time, which could be interesting in some settings. I like to sew outside when the weather is good, although it’s usually just in my yard at home or in the alley behind the shop. I sewed a hip pocket back onto my coveralls with a hand crank Singer 66-1 in a motel parking lot one evening while staying out of town on a job though.

CD in Oklahoma