Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
mom-6

In years past I had found that it didn't seem to matter that much which brand sewing machine I got (all relatively low $ ones), they all lasted about the same length of time...only a year or so. So I started getting whatever was the cheapest machine I could find. The most recent one I've bought was a Brother which did great for a couple of years and I've now passed it on to a friend who did not have a machine and she is enjoying it. Don't know if I just got lucky on that one, or if the quality is improving. (Or maybe DGS is no longer messing with everything in sight - like the tension knob, etc. - now that he's a little older LOL!)
The 'old' machines, like the featherweight and others of similar age and style, just seem to keep on going and going and going. So now I'm pretty much using my featherweight exclusively.
Apparently the combination of built-in zigzag capability and the use of plastic parts has done something to the continued durability and stitch quality of many of the newer machines.
I do want to get a newer machine that will do all the fun stuff, but can't seem to bring myself to pay that much for another sewing machine when I have one that works great for what I do.