Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
thepolyparrot

I'm with a couple of others who have expressed disappointment with modern Singers. I have around 30 vintage and antique machines, a modern serger and a Singer embroidery/sewing machine similar to the CE 250. It's spent more time in the shop than it has stitching. It's gone through more than one replacement bobbin case in very little actual sewing time - and although the bobbin cases are cheaply made, they're not cheap.

I would avoid any modern Singer, Viking of Pfaff - they are all part of the same conglomerate now and my rather pessimistic view is that the good companies don't bring the newcomers up to their level of service or craftsmanship, rather the poor companies bring the others down to their poor level of service and craftsmanship. Call me a curmudgeon - it probably fits.

If your 347 has the ability to do some decorative/utility stitches, it probably does more than you ever really use. And if I'm not mistaken, it also has a beautiful satin stitch.

If you want more decorative stitches, Brother puts out some really nice machines and Kenmores are made by Janome and some of those are a darned good deal for all the features, too.

Otherwise, I would definitely go with the iPad.