Thread: Container Tip?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Rosie the "Ripper"

Hello to all of you who get a thrill out of re-purposing items. I sure do. It makes me feel like I just saved myself a ton of $$$$!

Of course we all use ziplock bags. I like to use the jumbo ones for sets of fabrics that go together with their matching thread and pattern.

Those pop up laundry baskets are good for sorting scraps as you toss them - lights in one and darks in another. I like that they are not heavy to move around.

Empty medicine bottles are good for dull machine needles AND the needles are good to use as nails to hang scissors, rotary cutters etc. when not in use.

We eat a lot of the pre washed spinach that Sam's sells in plastic containers with lids. I have an old set of dresser drawers where I keep my threads. These containers are a perfect fit. I can get eight tubs side by side in each drawer and have each one hold a different color. Sure saves time when looking for a certain color. I even have individual ones for the variegated colors, metallic threads, transparent threads, embroidery threads, etc.

Stacked hanging shoe organizers are great too along with those blue baby wipes containers that fit into each compartment perfectly and hold millions of different things. I put a sticky label on the outside so I know what is in each. You can hang several next to each other and solve many storing problems in a small amount of space.

My husband smokes cigars (outside only) and the empty boxes stack great and hold pieces of blocks I am working on along with pattern, thread, etc. and are great for grabbing quickly and taking along on a short trip when my husband drives and wants company.

Have more but can't think right now.

Oh yes - I have a coffee can in my laundry room for all coins and bills left in pockets before washing - my money stash for fabrics!